Testing (1)

She gulped as she began to rationalize the situation as quickly as the circumstances could allow her.

First of all, Chryses definitely isn't thinking of anything perverse by tricking her into entering his room –Well, his study, which, he forgot to tell her, is connected to his room and is only being divided by a shelf.

Why?

One, because he's a misogynist. And while that was already a legitimate argument to cross out the whole equation, she continued to list other reasons. Which is, and number two, because he dislikes her.

He'd successfully convinced himself that she's the most repulsive woman in the whole wide world to treat her so poorly despite being acquainted. And last but not the least, let's face it-- it's simply preposterous!

Imagine!

Out of all the women he could have wanted to do it with (for whatever reason a misogynist like him would have to suddenly feel horny enough to set aside his disgust for women once upon a doubtful time), he chooses her? Her?? If even Samantha didn't measure up to his expectations, how could Amaryllis ever even pop up in his-again-doubtful considerations?

And while she was happy to arrive at that conclusion, she didn't feel any better that she was still clueless about why he brought her in such a private space.

And he locked the door, too.

Why..? Force of habit? Or maybe he did that to make her feel exactly that... paranoid?

She momentarily shut her eyes to compose herself before finally raising her head. She was starting to overthink things and it was making her head spin. "͎W͎͎e͎͎l͎͎l͎... ͎A͎͎n͎͎y͎͎w͎a͎͎y͎, ͎l͎͎e͎͎t͎'͎s͎ ͎m͎a͎͎k͎͎e͎ ͎t͎͎h͎͎e͎ ͎b͎͎e͎͎s͎͎t͎ ͎o͎͎f͎ ͎t͎͎h͎͎i͎͎s͎ ͎o͎͎p͎͎p͎͎o͎͎r͎͎t͎͎u͎͎n͎͎i͎͎t͎͎y͎ ͎t͎͎o͎ ͎w͎͎o͎͎r͎͎k͎... ͎o͎͎n͎ ͎o͎͎u͎͎r͎ ͎p͎͎r͎͎o͎͎j͎͎e͎͎c͎͎t͎..." Amaryllis uttered, making sure to emphasize the keywords as she met his gaze, but it only took a millisecond and her eyeballs were already shaking from fright.

She let her eyes wander to the bookshelves, trying to appear casual as she moved on to familiarize herself with the current environment. She was not at all scared of him. She was only scared of what he can do to her.

Ha!

Right. Because those two things are entirely different.

She groaned inwardly. Helplessly... Who was she kidding?

Clearing her throat, she spoke again, "͎S͎͎o͎.. ͎L͎͎e͎͎t͎'͎s͎ ͎p͎͎u͎͎t͎ a͎͎l͎͎l͎ ͎o͎͎u͎͎r͎ ͎e͎͎f͎͎f͎͎o͎͎r͎͎t͎͎s͎ ͎t͎͎o͎ ͎d͎͎o͎ ͎i͎͎t͎ ͎t͎͎o͎͎g͎͎e͎͎t͎͎h͎͎e͎͎r͎..." Realizing how vague her words were, she added hurriedly, "Ou͎͎r͎ ͎p͎͎r͎͎o͎͎j͎͎e͎͎c͎͎t͎, ͎o͎͎f͎ ͎c͎͎o͎͎u͎͎r͎͎s͎͎e͎... ͎S͎͎p͎͎e͎͎c͎͎i͎͎f͎͎i͎͎c͎a͎͎l͎͎l͎͎y͎... a͎͎n͎͎d͎ ͎m͎͎o͎͎s͎͎t͎ ͎e͎͎s͎͎p͎͎e͎͎c͎͎i͎a͎͎l͎͎l͎͎y͎ ͎i͎͎n͎ ͎o͎͎u͎͎r͎ ͎s͎͎c͎͎h͎͎o͎͎o͎͎l͎ ͎p͎͎r͎͎o͎͎j͎͎e͎͎c͎͎t͎... ͎A͎͎f͎͎t͎͎e͎͎r͎ a͎͎l͎͎l͎... ͎f͎͎i͎͎n͎a͎͎l͎͎s͎ ͎i͎͎s͎ ͎j͎͎u͎͎s͎͎t͎ a͎͎r͎͎o͎͎u͎͎n͎͎d͎ ͎t͎͎h͎͎e͎ ͎c͎͎o͎͎r͎͎n͎͎e͎͎r͎, ͎r͎͎i͎͎g͎͎h͎͎t͎..?" She then flashed her best smile at Chryses, completely oblivious of how it closely resembled a grimace rather than the refreshing smile she was going for.

Chryses' lips slightly twitched and for a moment, it seemed like his expression was mocking, but when he spoke and the corners of his lips quirked higher, the image vanished. "Of course. It was the reason why I invited you over, after all."