Broken Ribs

Pre lightning - Barry is 19

**********

"Come on guys, let's just talk about this." I said, holding my hands out in front of me as I backed into the wall.

Greg, Kyle, and Jim just sneered and stalked closer.

So much for college being better than High School.

Kyle shoved my up against the wall, "Shut up Allen."

Against my better judgement, I didn't listen. "Why? Cause you know I'll be able to talk my way out? I am smarter than you all, considering I didn't just pay to get in."

Greg's fist collided with my midsection.

The air rushed out of my lungs and pain blossomed in my torso.

I suppose one thing did change from High School: The punches got harder.

They each took turns punching me, cheering each other on. Man, what a bunch of ass holes.

Eventually, Kyle let go of me and I slumped to the ground. The three jerks each took two turns kicking me, before leaving me there, curled up in pain.

I tried to breathe, but it was really painful. I wanted to scream, but I couldn't get enough air, so I settled for a whimper. But that still jostled my ribs and sent waves of  pain through my midsection. And that just made me want to cry more. I was an endless cycle of pain. 

I ground my teeth and slowly picked myself up off the ground. I carefully made my way to the nurse's office, clutching my torso the entire way there. 

I was just outside, when I heard the familiar voice of Ms. Pillard, the nurse, "Barry! What happened? Come on, get inside."

I slowly made my way to one of the cots. Ms. Pillard helped lower me down and she rushed to get me some ice and painkillers.

"Here you are Barry," she said, "Now let me take a look."

She lifted my shirt and gasped. "Barry, how did this happen?" she asked as she gently prodded my ribs. I winced and she she grimaced. "Sorry. You have a few broken ribs, and lots of bruised ones. Stay put, I'll get some bandages."

Ms. Pillard came back quickly with gauze and started wrapping me up.

"Thanks," I said, tugging my shirt down.

"Yeah. Take it easy Barry," she said. "But first, before you can leave, you need to tell me how thins happened."

I shrugged, "I just, uh, tripped down the stairs and then walked into a table."

"You really need to work on your lying skills."

I grinned sheepishly.

"Now tell me what really happened." 

I let out a deep sigh, "It was just a few guys."

"Who." she demanded, crossing her arms.

I could tell I wasn't leaving this room until I told her, so I  just sighed again and said, "Greg, Kyle, and Jim."

"I knew it." She cursed, "I'm going to report them. I've had at least three kids in here because of them. You'd be the fourth."

"I'm not a kid," I protested.

"Could've fooled me."

I chuckled and stood up, "Thanks again."

"Of course Barry." She said, "You're my favorite and most frequent patient. Take it easy."

"Yes ma'am."

**********

A/N- Wow I really stink at endings. Either that or I'll have a really good one. But most the time they're pretty lousy. Sorry about that.

K. 

Love y'all! :)