Chapter 16

"I'm so excited for the ball!" Flynn exclaimed.

     Flynn rushed up to me and I gasped as he swept me up in his arms. He lifted me up, his eyes gleaming and his face lit up with joy.

     "Oh my god," I said. "Please put me down."

     Flynn laughed and he set me down on the ground. My heart was pounding, but I wasn't sure if it was out of fear or because of the way Flynn held me.

     "Sorry," Flynn said. "I'm just so excited. We'll be announcing our relationship to the world! Everyone will think I'm taken and finally, I'll be left alone."

     Flynn's smile overtook his face. His eyes shone and I smiled, glad to see Flynn looking happy for once. Months ago Flynn was furious at the idea of a ball, hating the way his parents were setting him up. But now, finally Flynn was joyous over the celebration.

     "Okay, enough of me being silly," Flynn said. "Let me take you out to buy a dress for the ball. It'll be on me."

     "No, don't worry about it," I said. My eyes widened. "I can always wear my blue dress."

     "Helena, I love that dress on you, but it's time for you to get a new dress. Don't worry about it."

     Flynn's eyes were gentle, his smile warm and I gulped. And sighing, I couldn't help but give in.

*****

     I was in the middle of putting on a dress. I was in a dressing room while Flynn was outside, sitting on a couch. I could hear him humming. We'd been looking at dresses for an hour now in the petite boutique and I pulled my dress up, worried I was boring Flynn.

     "Okay, are you ready?" I asked.

     "Of course," Flynn said.

     I straightened out the green dress I put on. It was a green dress with long sleeves, one that hugged my waist and emphasized the ratio between my waist and hips. There was no mirror in the changing room, so I had no idea how I looked.

     I opened the door of the changing room then. Flynn was now standing and upon seeing me, his eyes flew wide. He was stunned. Frozen in place as his eyes lingered on my body and I blushed. He seemed mesmerized, his eyes lifting slowly to meet mine, and there was a nervous look on his face that caught me off guard.

     "Wow," Flynn said. "You look stunning. I knew green would be your colour."

     "I wish there was a mirror here," I said, blushing. "How am I supposed to know whether I like this dress or not."

     "I will be your mirror," Flynn said. "And I'm here to tell you that you're beautiful."

    Flynn's words were so raw, so honest my heart melted. My heart was pounding as our eyes met again, and Flynn's eyes were full of adoration.

     "Thank you," I said. "Do you really think I should get this dress then?"

     "For sure," Flynn said.

    I smiled and nodded, and I blushed when the man at the front counter rushed into the room. And upon seeing me, his eyes flew wide.

    "You look beautiful!" the man exclaimed. "This dress really brings out your eyes."

    "Thank you," I said, growing shy.

    "You're one lucky man," the man told Flynn. "To have such a beautiful fiancé. You're blessed."