17 - The Silent Killer and the Long War

Present Day

Tine saw the fear and the wistfulness in Sarawat's eyes.

"Wat, I know that no assassin can scare you. But something has affected you deeply. What is it?" asked Tine gently, letting down his barriers again.

"I can't lose you again, my love. I thought I could stay distant, keep things professional. It was already difficult before. But now, it's impossible.

All this time, I thought you were...." Sarawat couldn't bring himself to say the word. He clasped Tine's hands in his.

"I had lost the will to live. And then, miraculously, you returned. To see you every day, and not be able to touch you or hold you is probably the punishment I deserve for letting them take you.

But I am weak for you, Tine. And for once in my life, I want to be selfish" said Sarawat, resting his forehead on Tine's shoulder.

Tine started withdrawing into his shell. His mind had got into the habit of shielding itself from pain by entering a state of indifference.

His eyes took on a vacant stare. He stepped away from Sarawat and bowed stiffly.

"Your Majesty, I think it's best if I escort you to your room" said Tine mechanically.

Sarawat looked at the dead look in Tine's eyes. He recognized the bubble Tine had built around his mind.

He berated himself for burdening Tine with his selfish desires and adding to his pain.

He would give Tine time to recover. As much time as he needed.

"I agree. And you too need to go home and rest. Take the day off tomorrow. It's an order" said King Sarawat.

*
Five years ago

Grandfather had been poisoned to death.

Sarawat knew what had to be done. But he would need help.

"Doctor, I trust that you have not told anyone else about this or your correspondence with the physician from Persil?" he asked.

Maprang shook her head.

"Then I will ask you to hold on to this secret for a little while longer while I investigate who the traitor is. I also ask you to trust me with my choice of allies" said Sarawat.

Maprang nodded.

Sarawat swept out of the room. He picked up a few things from his room, kitted himself out with weapons and stepped out of the palace into the city.

He walked through the streets till he spotted a dank and dingy doorway. A crooked and filthy sign hung above it that said "LCoHol". The narrow side street stank of urine and looked like a garbage dump.

Sarawat pushed the door open. He entered a narrow corridor with a curtain at the end. He pushed through the curtain and entered a different world.

The large hall was a study in opulence. Deep leather armchairs, velvet pouffes, large sofas and silken cushions were spread comfortably around the den.

Lush rugs carpeted the floor. Dainty fountains dotted the hall.

Richly embroidered tapestries hung from the walls. Even a blind man could admire the intricacy of the work and the exorbitant cost of the art.

Scantily-clad beauties of all colors, shapes and sizes walked around with bottles and jugs of different kinds of intoxicating liquids.

They kept every glass full, every mouth wet, every dick hard.