15 - Games

Luke couldn't sleep. He eventually gave up trying around three o'clock in the morning. Going down into the kitchen, he didn't bother with the lights and opened the fridge to collect ingredients for a sandwich.

His mum's roasts were the best and he wasn't about to let the leftovers go to waste.

Putting the double stacked mini-meal onto a plate, he shuffled back upstairs to his computer desk, next to the electric fire. Warmth and a soothing glow helped him to settle down, heating his legs while he rested his back on one of his mother's collection of tartan cushions.

He sipped his drink and munched away, losing himself in the now automatic clicks and log ins to restart his game.

So, this was his future then. The farm. It wasn't exactly what he'd wanted but now knowing the full story he guessed there could be worse fates than this. Maybe it would be a blessing in disguise? Working at the shop hadn't been as interesting as he'd hoped, and after failing his course at college, he'd never really expected to become the whizz kid entrepreneur like Duncan. After Clara, things had changed. And after Clara again.

Goosebumps rose all over his flesh. Clara again.

The screen of Luke's computer glared yellow with the opening credits of the game. He finished his midnight snack and bent closer to the image. Attempting to engage his mind with the action, he tried to phase out the memory of the Ouija game.

Move the mouse quickly to that box... Grab the explosives and run behind that car...

Sarah hadn't stopped laughing. She'd almost wet herself giggling at the sight of Duncan doing his 'Freddie Krueger picking his nose' impersonation.

Luke had set up the Ouija board on Sarah's parents' bed. The three nineteen-year-olds had all been ready for the Halloween night of fun.

"I mean honestly," Sarah spluttered between laughter. "Why are the girls always skinny, silly, screaming and with big boobs in those stupid movies? And why do they always go down in the cellar? With no lights? I mean, who would really do that?"

Duncan had jumped onto the bed next to her and passed Luke the bottle of wine they were sharing, shaking his head in agreement with her.

"I know, right? You'd think the daft bitches would realise that the first place a psycho hides out is in the dark, in the cellar, under the stairs just waiting to--"

"Grab your ankle as you come down!" Sarah finished for him.

Luke had the feeling that he had been missing out on more between his two friends than a cynical view of horror films.

Shoot that monster over there before it gets too close... Shift and up cursor...right click mouse. It's dragging a body behind it...

"I suppose the popcorn's all gone, Sarah?" Luke had asked, sitting himself at the foot of the bed, his back resting on the wall.

Sarah had pursed her lips and knotted her eyebrows.

"Yeah. Sorry about that Luke, but you know how I can't stop eating it when I'm nervous."

Duncan had banged his body into her.

"How can you be nervous about stupid films like that when you live in what has to be the most haunted house in England?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Sarah had snapped back.

"Just what I said. It's creepy in here at night. Your grandfather's right. All those noises and that weird flowery smell. I wouldn't be surprised if we get hold of a real ghost here tonight. What do you think, big man?"