Chapter Seven

Jonathan was still kneeling in the middle of the hallway shivering in fear. What was that? Is the story worth my life? All these thoughts swam around in Jonathan's mind as he tried to put all the pieces together of what just happened. The smell of rotting flesh and ash brought him back to his senses. A small light loomed through the hallway, the source being the tiny light bulb hanging from the ceiling. He sat there staring at the door that led him to the horrid floor. He contemplated whether to or not to run to the door and leave, but there was an unsettling feeling at the pit of his stomach that whatever was down here wasn't going to let him out anytime soon.

Slowly standing up Jonathan brushes off the dust on his pants and starts to walk down the hallway. He was never familiar with the 'supernatural world' and he didn't know if he was putting his life at risk but he had an idea that he wasn't going to be 100% okay if he didn't think this through. But terror does get in the way of your thinking process. Patting his pockets he tries to find something to distract him from his fear. He thought about how when he was younger he tried playing baseball with the big kids but they always yelled at him and mocked him calling him a pansy, he then thought about how in middle school the teacher he hated the most always called on him to answer the questions the teacher knew Jonathan had no idea how to answer, that teacher loved messing with little ol' Jonathan.

The memories helped take Jonathan's attention off of the echoing footsteps and eerie whistles that didn't belong to him for a while until he felt a 'whoosh' go through him. Suddenly Jonathan was gasping for air, he clutched his chest in agony falling back down to his knees onto the floor. It felt as if smoke was filling up his lungs and that's what caused him to panic even more. He kicked against the air leaning his back onto one of doors, pathetic and panicked gasps leaving his mouth as if it would change anything. His breath slowly became even as he closed his eyes tightly. He starts coughing and wheezing but he silently thanks whatever great power there was for letting him survive the experience.

Standing up he turns around to the door behind him reaching his hand out and turning the door handle slightly. He knew, he knew that whatever was behind that door or whatever was going to happen will haunt him forever but he pushed that thought away and replaced it with 'You need that story Jonathan' He turns the door handle all the way and pushes it open. Inside was something he was not expecting, a corpse, rope tied tightly around its neck, was hanging from the ceiling. Skin burned off and a knife held tightly in its hands.

What is going on? Jonathan thought staring at the body mouth agape. The room looked as if it was a scene from a horror movie. Nauseous he started to walk backwards to the door yanking open the door. The need for the dinner he ate earlier to escape his mouth was strong and he wanted nothing more than to get out of there. Off of the thirteenth floor, out of the hotel even. But he knew deep down he would not stop, nor rest, until he got that story. He had all the evidence he needed, he saw it! The thought didn't cross his mind that the people would think he was insane, a lunatic. He needed evidence. Pure evidence. He should've brought his camera. He hit the wall next to him in frustration. Of course! Why didn't he think about bringing his camera?! Running his fingers through his hair and yanking at the ends of it he finally thought he had enough. He would come back down here when he had the right equipment. When he had a plan. It was very stupid of him to just walk down here thinking a ghost or whatever there was down here was going to have a casual conversation with him and tell him everything that happened during the fire.

The floor seemed darker than before, he rested one hand on the wall to guide himself to the steps. Jonathan took small steps cautious so he won't run into anything. When he got to the end of the hallway he sprinted up the stairs, skipping one step at a time, he decided to go back on the fourteenth floor and take the elevator. When he got to the lobby. He rested his hands on his knees panting trying to take deep breaths. The woman at the desk looked over at him with a scowl. But he didn't pay any mind to that. He knew what he needed to do and he knew what he was up against. Marching over to the lady he slammed his hand against the desk.

"I need to stay here for another week."
_ _ _
Chapter by Mikala Sydney (@LittleBlackStar99)