Chapter 28: Failure or Renunciation?

"Aren't we going to see Grace Dumont first?" Katherine questioned as she stepped out of the car when he finally parked in an abandoned parking lot, and announced they would need to walk the rest of the way to the werewolf camp that apparently rested deep in the mountains.

"No. I need to sort out my business with the pack first. I'm afraid we are late as it is."

"What? Are they just going to vanish into thin air if you're not there to ambush them at exactly this time?" She grumbled swinging her bag over her shoulder.

"Actually. Yes. In a manner of speaking."

Despite her raised eyebrow and obvious confusion, he didn't offer her a further explanation. Instead he simply began walking, expecting her to follow.

"Seriously? We're back to the silent treatment? You could just say you don't want to answer. Not ignore me like I'm not talking to you." She muttered pushing past him, walking further into the woods.

"I do not want to answer." He smiled with that sarcastic grin she had already been expecting as he walked ahead of her once more. "Happy?"

"Well let's see. I'm in the woods, surrounded by dirt and who knows what else, and I'm out here alone with you. Am I happy? No not really."

"Not to worry, I will make certain to save you from all the poisonous snakes." He smirked, hearing the way her heart rate accelerated slightly. "Relax Katerina. I was joking. There are no snakes in these parts. None that are poisonous anyway."

"That so wasn't funny." She grumbled, glaring directly at his back despite knowing he couldn't see her.

"Oh I disagree." His tone was smug, but truthfully in this moment he was nervous. Perhaps that was why he was currently trying to bother her. He hadn't been in these woods in centuries. "When we arrive, I need you to be quiet. I know you just love to insult me and anyone the first chance you get, but this is important. Let me do the talking."

"I couldn't possibly care less about your torture methods Klaus. Just as long as we go see Grace after, you can do whatever the hell you-"

Suddenly Klaus' hand was over her mouth, preventing her from speaking any longer, and his body was a little too close for comfort.

"Shh." He whispered, ignoring the glare she was giving him. At least she wasn't biting his hand. "Is someone there?" He called out causing Katherine to frown.

Katherine was watching him curiously. If he thought he was being followed this was normally the time where he made some type of threat. Instead he was calling out hello like every stupid character in cliché horror movies. She tried to ask what he was doing but his hand only tightened on her face.

She would've rolled her eyes in pure annoyance, had it not been for the arrow that abruptly shot out from nowhere and the group of men that all of a sudden had them surrounded.

"Be very still." He whispered in her ear before slowly letting her go and raising both hands in defense. "My name is Klaus Mikaelson. I-"

"We know who you are. You're the original hybrid. The one that slaughtered hundreds of werewolves and turned them into abominations." One of the men spoke up, taking a menacing step towards Klaus.

Katherine had been expecting Klaus to rip the man's heart out the second the word abomination left his lips. After all, he killed people for far less. But he wasn't doing that. He was holding back every bit of rage that was in him at the moment. His eyes were murderous, and his body was trembling slightly from anger. But he stood absolutely still, not moving an inch from his spot. "I only wish to speak to-"