Chapter 2

Harry's POV

I emerged from the train, my breath hitched as the cold air brushed against my cheeks. My hand was so tightly around the handle of my luggage that my knuckles were going white. My body filled with anxiety, I'm not sure if I could even make it to the carriage.

"C'mon mate. We aren't gonna make it to Hogwarts by just standing here." Ron gently patted my back twice before walking towards our carriage, hands linked with Hermione's. I gathered my wits and began to follow their path.

I sat across from the pair, eyes focused on my shoes once again. I caught myself doing this a lot, but I couldn't stop either way. I couldn't bear to look at the people wandering everywhere or the familiar dirt trail which led us straight to the castle. It was all too distressing, so my shoes were the alternative.

"Hermione! Ron! Harry!" Luna greeted in a more enthusiastic way than her natural  serenity. She stepped through the small doorway, followed my Neville, Hannah Abbott, and Ginny.

"Hey everyone! I've missed all of your dearly," Hermione proclaimed, engulfing each of them in a hug, beginning with Luna and going down the line.

"It's been a bloody long time since we've all been gathered," Ron added with a smile on his face.

"What they said," I replied calmly, not really in the mood for grand reunions.

...

The Great Hall bustled with the eager conversations of the houses to see which young witches or wizards would be added to the family. The group of 12 years old at the front of the room roared with each person.

"Iris Norwell. Ravenclaw! Marcos Goodgold. Slytherin!" The sorting hat beamed from the stage with each child being sorted. (I know the hat doesn't call the children up but for the sake of saving time I made it so it does haha)

I often wish I could go back to the day I was in their place. What if I would've take Malfoy up on his offer, what would've happened then? What if my aunt and uncle really didn't allow me to go, what if Hagrid never came to save me. What if I knew how to get on the platform and never talked to Molly, I wouldn't have been introduced to Ron. So many things could've gone drastically different with one different choice.

...

"And last but certainly not least. Rosemary Evergreen. Gryffindor!"

I watched the young girl ran down to the end of our table, a grand smile spread across her small face as she joined her friends at the feast.

Only moments later a loud voice erupted from that place the children had gathered before. "EVERYONE QUIET DOWN!" Professor McGonagall projected from the front. The hall fell silent. "We have an announcement to make." Everyone leaned to the edge of their seats, longing to know what this announcement was. "Due to the recent events which have terribly affected many of us in this room, we will be defeating the separation between houses." (YES I know every fanfic has this element but it makes the story go smoother so i'm sorry for being unoriginal 🙈) There was an uproar. Some students were thrilled, others, definitely not. "Quiet!" Silence fell once more. "During the summer rebuild, we repurposed some of the areas of the castle, and added on in some places. We have left the four current dormitories as we will still have some activities which will be split by houses, and those will be the gathering places for said future meetings. We will have a teacher lead each group to their new rooms. Rules still apply for boy/girl dormitories. Lastly, to add to the plan, us professors would much appreciate a mix of where student sit in this here hall. There are no longer separate house table. At breakfast we expect to see all four colors sitting wherever they please, preferably, mixed. Eighth years, you are now all dismissed. Follow me." Professor McGonagall stepped down from her perch and walked down the center aisle of the room. I see various heads from each table pop up and make their way to the door.

...

"Here is the eighth year headquarters. Please do enjoy. I hope to see new friendships sprout." Professor McGonagall lead the way into our new common room. It was splendid. The fire place roared on the center wall, decorated with the banners of Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw. The surrounding area was furnished with black loveseats, and a couple of muggle "bean-bag" chairs.

"What about the sleeping arrangements Professor?" Hermione questioned while examining the room around, her lips curved into a smile.

"Oh, yes," McGonagall stated rather blatantly. "You year eights will have only one roommate. No two people from the same houses will room together, another aspect of the conjoining. Your roommates have already been picked as well, as you will see by the sign on the doors. I shall see myself out now. Everyone, we thank you for your courage and loyalty to stick with Hogwarts." Everyone smiled softly. "Potter, Malfoy, I need to speak with you privately." And with that, McGonagall exited the large wooden door into the hallway on the other side.

I glanced around the room, then at Draco who was giving me a 'What did we do now?' type of look. Timidly, I walked through the same wooden door, just behind my fellow classmate, latching the door behind me.

"What's wrong, Professor?" I spoke up.

"You see, the staff and I felt it necessary to room the two of you together. We hope there will not be any further issues, as the two of you have never really gotten along. We hope this will bring some unity amongst the two of you, as of the Gryffindor and Slytherin houses. I hope this does not greatly inconvenience you two in any way. Thank you"

Draco and I stood there, dumbfounded. She left before either of us could say a word.

"Well then, we'd better get going, roomie," the blond haired boy teased, shoving me gently with his elbow.

I snapped out of my thoughts and shook my head at Malfoy's words, a smirk creeping its way onto my face.

Hey! Once again this is unedited so I apologize in advance. Also I'm tired so I know it wasn't written very good hahaha. Anyways, thank you to anyone who is reading this, have a wonderful day.