Sample #3- Seren's Stars

In the empty clearing, away from the fire, the stars glowed even brighter. 

     The sky was speckled in glittering dots, some where blue some where white, but they were all beautiful. Even though the flecks of starlight were so far, Aydris admired how they still glowed bright enough that she could see their patterns in great detail. A game of celestial connect-the-dots in a way. It was as if someone punches holes through the darkness, giving just a small glimpse of the heavens beyond.

     Within a couple of seconds she spotted the seven stars that made up Ursa Minor, her sister Seren's favorite constellation. If only her older sister had been here with her now. She was as beautiful as a goddess but as stubborn as a bull. She would give any one of these warriors a run for their money.

     After her death, Aydris couldn't look at the night sky for months. Her sister had loved the stars just as much as Aydris loved storms. Seren's favorite star was Polaris. She had said that it kept her steady even when she seemed lost. It always told her which way to go to get home. Seren had painted all her favorite constellations on the ceiling of their bedroom. She even had a journal with the history and hidden meanings behind them all. 

     It was under her sister's stars that Aydris asked for guidance. It was under her sister stars that she asked for understanding about everything around her- about Lukas, about the revolution, about her destiny. Then, as if Seren had answered, the fog dissipated from the inside of Aydris' mind. 

     Aydris found her answer about her dear friend with forest green eyes.

     Lukas.

     Aydris loved him, truly she did, and she'd die for him 100 times over if she had to. But the more she thought about it, the more she started to realize that- even though she loved him, she could never be in love with him. Their bond ran deeper than blood... deeper than bone; it ran like a steady bridge between them... unfaltering and certain. But if they were to try to change their bond into something new and unstable... she feared it would crumble under the pressure.

     She needed stability right now. Though she considered this place a sort of twisted blessing, everything was uncertain. Everything was so new and dangerous, she needed a constant. And Lukas- well that's what Lukas was to her. He was the mountain in the unforgiving storm. The rock on the shore of a raging sea. He kept her steady and she kept him wild. He was her constant.

     "Lukas, I-"

     His kind voice cut hers off instantly. "Wait- Aydris, let me go first."

     Well shit.