Chapter 04

Kou was not a simple horse. She had a lot of energy, a big personality, and a past.

Even now, tied to a ring in the wall for grooming, she was a presence that everyone noticed. She fiddled with everything she could get her nose on, occasionally scraping her front hoof on the ground impatiently and throwing her head up at every unexpected movement.

You knew to get the brushing over with quickly or you would have a full-on storm on your hands as soon as you mounted.

Making sure to stay well away from the kick-zone you put the saddle on and prepared to dodge a hoof as you tightened the cinch around her belly. Arai had worked on Kou's behavior during saddling when she had the time, but had told you that if this continued Kou would not be suited to be a lesson horse anymore.

Up until now, she had not been able to actually hurt anyone, but with this level of kicking and biting it was only a matter of time. You had actually asked some people at the stable at home if they knew any tricks that might work, but they hadn't been able to offer you something that Arai hadn't tried yet.

You just tried your best to make the process as quick and comfortable as possible for the horse.

Once you had the bridle on, you unclipped the halter and walked outside, Kou on your right blowing contently. After checking if the cinch was tight enough, you entered the outdoor arena and got on. You made a few laps at a brisk walk before leaving the arena again.

A dirt road stretched out, the outdoor arena on one side of it, and the track-and-field court on the other. It went all around the court and at the farthest end merged with the dirt road that went around the baseball field. It was like a large, misshapen figure eight.

You made sure that you were a certain distance away from the arena before lengthening your reins and allowing Kou to go into a trot. It wasn't long before you had gone past the track-and-field court and took a right turn to continue your way along the baseball field.

Since today was the first day of the new year, most clubs weren't doing their activities yet. The first few days were usually spent getting the new first-year members introduced and making sure all the fields and equipment were in order. 

If baseball practice had been in session you wouldn't have risked going anywhere near the field with Kou, since she would have spooked all over the place and probably take off running with you. You were in no hurry to find out how long it would take her to calm down from a dead runaway.

After two laps around the field, you could feel her going from a tight, nervous run to a more relaxed trot with bigger steps. She started lowering her head and blowing now and again as well. 

The third time you approached the indoor gym, which was situated opposite the baseball field, you noticed someone leaving through one of the back doors.

You sat down deeper in the saddle and lifted your reins a bit to make Kou slow down to a walk, not wanting to startle the person that had just left the gym. 

He took off in the opposite direction at a fast jog, however, and you were pretty sure you recognized him as Ushijima. Not able to resist, you dropped your hand down allowing Kou to pick up her trot once again.

In no time at all, you had caught up with the runner and greeted him as you were still a short distance behind him.

"Out for an evening run?" You asked as you slowed down your horse to a brisk walk next to the volleyball player.

He turned his head slightly to look at you, nodded, and then returned his eyes to the road ahead of him. "Yeah."

"Do you mind if I keep you company for a little while?" You asked, not entirely sure why.