Chapter 1

The sun blared in the eyes of the young and the old as they began their mornings, the bustling streets of the village filled with people running back and forth. Everyone was reading for the bright sunny day ahead, well all except Jack. He laid on his haystack staring ever so slightly at the window dreaming of adventures in the great wide somewhere.

He heard his mothers screams from the bottom of the ladder becoming clearer and clearer the more he tuned in "JACK GET UP AND MILK THE COW!" her tone Strong and filled with force commanding Jack to roll out of bed. He dressed in his grey gloomy rags and replied to his mother "coming" under his breath in his rich English accent that could and shivers down anyone's spine.

"You cant keep sitting p there Jack your wasting time!" His mother held him as though she admired him but soon rolled her her eyes and hit him on the head. Jack creaked the front wooden door open to a busy street filled with amazing aromas of food, he began to walk to the bakery where the smell seemed to be coming from "focus jack, focus" he muttered and turned towards the direction of his Cow. As he began to rush through the large crowds of villagers a man stopped him in his tracks "Stop running you fool! Do you want to hurt someone! Get your head out of the clouds kid and grow up!" with that he knocked him to the ground and sent the other villagers around him into pits of laughter. As jack got up he dusted his clothes of and hung his head in shame. He gulped and continued his walk.

Behind his house there's a small field with one cow as white as milk "Milky! Milky!" Jack ran over to the cow and gave the animal a hug. He fetched a tin bucket and began to try to milk the cow "come on Milky, I don't want to have to sell you" yet the cow didn't milk. Jack kicked the bucket and plumped himself onto the ground pushing his hair back out of his face. He Threw his head into his hands and began to tear up "Why are you crying?" Jack looked up to see a girl with long curly brown hair and piercing green eyes "oo um oh" the girl began to run away her dress dragging along twigs and leaves. Jack stumbled up running towards the girl "wait!" but the girl was too fast, he caught his breath as he headed back towards his mother. Her face was stern but frail "what are you doing running of! Jack! why wont you just listen to me" Her voice stronger then this morning, she looked over at the cow and the bucket and took a deep breath "wheres the milk?" Jack stuttered his eyes around the farm and took deep breaths. His heart was thudding inside his chest, his words refused to come out "Jack!" his mother grabbed him by the shoulders "OK OK" he gulped "OK-she-didn't-milk-again" he spoke fast and with fear. His mother hit him on the head "That's it your taking her to the next village tomorrow selling her for no less then 4 coins!" his mother spat out Jack argued the point "but she doesn-" his mother stopped him drawing her bony finger to her face "shh- you leave tomorrow!"