Chapter 2

A/N I'll try not to do Authors notes :)

Jack stared out the window to the millions of shining stars that lit up everything he could see. All he could think about was the stories about what is in the woods.He dropped his head and fell asleep.

Jack got up at his mother first call, her screeching voice piercing his ears. He swallowed his dry, stale bread hard causing it to stick to his throat. His train of thoughts circled and circled he thought he was going mad, but all the thoughts contained heavy emotions of his father. On jacks 14th birthday last year, his father had received news that he was very ill and wouldn't make through the week, so has a idea of comfort his father gave him 5 coins to find him and his mother a cow to take care of them. His fathers words lingered in his head "its up to you Jack" Jack slammed his fist onto the wobbly wooden table, he stood up while kicking the haystack he was sitting on.

He stared at his mother in hope her decision changed but instead, she rushed over to him wrapping a scarf tightly around his neck; she kissed him of the forehead as she pushed him out the door sending him struggling for balance.

Milky was tied to the front gate waiting for Jack to lead the journey "I'm really going to miss you Milky" and with that they were off.

Jack lead Milky across the cobblestone road, down a dirt house and behind the oldest house in his village with over grown vines and trees hiding the unknown house. Jack began to lead Milky into the forest but stopped himself. The overgrown vines held green beans bigger than his thumbs, he walked over to the beans and tried to pull them off but they wouldn't budge. "LEAVE MY BEANS ALONE!" A deep, angry voice screamed out of the vines, Jack eyes opened wide when a big man dressed in all black jumped out of the house and was running towards him! He desperately pulled on the beans ripping them off, he shoved them in his pocket while he ran towards poor confused Milky "Come on! Move quick Milky hurry!" but she wouldn't budge, Jack gave her one more last hug before running of into the deep dark unknown called the woods. The man was still chasing him screaming at the top of his lungs, sending jack into shivers of fear.

Jack couldn't hear or see the man, his chest pounding as he caught his breath. He flopped himself on the ground still trying to catch his breath, his chestnut brown hair flopped on his face tickling his eyelashes. As he caught up with his breath he felt a strong hand grasp his shoulder "The, Beans..." A smirk crossed the mans face, his blue beady eyes flickered with evil, his rough unshaven face was covered with scratches and scars. Jack put his hand in his spoke and held three beans "OK" he gulped picking two beans and handing them to the man "good kid" the man stood up and hit jack on the head "what about my cow!" Jack demanded "You snooze you lose" the man laughed and evil laughed and diapered off into the forest.

Night started to fall, the forest seemed to be growing and changing the more Jack tried to find the way back home but got lost in the midst of darkness .
Jack kicked the ground in anger causes rocks to fly of the ground. He sat in a small burrow in a nearby tree, pulling his scarf off to use it as a pillow. As he lowered his eyelids to rest a commotion bursted through the forest, Jack shot up in fear, his eyes darting around the darkness. A small glow erupted a small part of the forest near him, for what he could see it looked like a lady in a blue dress at a very tall height. He shook his head and fell asleep. During his sleep he tossed and turned causing the bean fall out.

A bright light shine through the forest causing Jack to be restless he turned over and suddenly he was hidden in shade, his eyes opened... wide. Towering next to him was and incredibly large beanstalk, twirling up into the sky. Ginormous leaves flapped in the wind, they were some of the greenest leaves ever seen. Thick vines wrapped the tree. What was in front of Jack would be considered something of amazement and better to be looked at from the bottom, but because Jacks mind was full of curiosity and wanderlust he just knew what had to happen.

He began to climb the tremendous stalk but was stopped, "Hey! Wait for me!" It was the girl who ran away before. "Who are you? And why did you run before?" The girl had caught up, she began untangling twigs from her hair " Im not sure really, but um you can call me..." Jack watched as her eyes scattered around the forest. A fawn sprinted pass the vine, chasing after a small mouse "uh you can call me Fawn" she smiled a loving smile "I'm guessing that's not your real name" Fawn shrugged "nope!"

They began to climb resting ever so often, they shared stories about themselves and knew each other quite well by this point in time. They reached the top "Its beautiful" they both gasped, staring at a beautiful scene. "Let's go!" Fawn took hold of Jacks hand, pulling him up onto what seemed the top of the world.