Fifth wheel

an unwelcomed, or extra person. 

_______________________

I didn’t notice the number of text messaged I received until I arrived at the Aquarium center in the city.

Eleven messages.

All from the same person.

And all with only three words.

“You there yet??”

I made a quick call to Jett. He picked up after one ring.

“Hey babe! You here yet? If you are—that Xandie guy is late, cuz’—“

“O-Oh! Um, Xander gave me a ride here you see, so um…” I said quietly into the phone, but apparently, Xander could hear what I was saying as he raised an eyebrow.

Jett was silent on the other side of the phone.

“You agreed to let him drive you? Babe, but that’s dangerous! You should totally avoid guys like him who prey on cuties like you!” Jett warned exasperatedly.

“U-Um, I don’t think he’s preying on me, and I’m not that all cute either s-so—“

All of a sudden, a hand slipped into mine, gently taking hold of my cellphone.

Xander leaned down, turning the receiver so that he could speak into it.

“We’re here. Neither of us are late. Don’t be such an impatient kid,” And with that, he hung up on Jett.

“There, done,” Xander smirked wolfishly, handing my mobile back to me and slipping his hands into his pockets, thumbs out.

I couldn’t help but let slip a careless smile.  

That was mean, and I probably have to apologize to Jett later but—

It was…funny. Just a little.

O-Okay maybe a lot.

But it was still mean to call Jett a kid.

“Jett’s only a year younger than me,” I pointed out soon after, looking up at Xander as we walked from the parking area to the main entrance.

“So—he’s twenty,” Xander nodded, as if acknowledging the fact but not giving it a second take. He led the way very naturally, as if he had been here a couple of times.

I nodded.

“I think Giselle might have an older mental age compared to him,” Xander joked, pretending to consider this fact very seriously.

I tried to hold back my laughter, hitting Xander on the shoulder but realizing that my hand hurt instead.

We arrived at the main entrance, and spotted Jett immediately.

.

He was dressed quite maturely for his age—in a navy pea coat and black boots. His hair looked like it took ages to style.

As we approached him, Jett’s eyes lit up and he came jogging over.

“Babe! What was that all about?” He held up his cellphone, raising an eyebrow.