Chapter 5

Tristan grabs the forms out of the receptionist's hand in a rush and quickly grabs me from the chair I was sitting on. He shouts a thank you to the receptionist over his shoulder as he drags me out of the office doors, whipping me by the elbow to take a sharp left down the hall. I sneak a glance behind us to see Carter and Katy entering the main office with their stack of files, smiling at me.

"Tristan, slow down," I complain, confused as to what just happened. "Where are we going? I need to fill out that transfer form and speak the guidance counselor today!"

"You can do that later," he mumbles, still steering me in the direction he wants to go, never slowing down his pace. "I just need to get away from them to think. Did you see those files they were carrying?"

"No," I answer. "You pulled me out of there way too fast."

"Carter secured a spot on student council with Katy," Tristan explains. "Every Tuesday, student council members have a morning meeting before announcements. I've seen the members carrying those type of files with them from time to time. If Carter openly has access to them, that means he's a member now."

"What does that mean for us?" I question, still confused. My mind has been jumbled with thoughts since the carnival; I can't seem to follow Tristan's trains of thoughts anymore.

"You really didn't see the names on the top two files they were carrying?" he finally stops outside of the library and turns to face me. I can't tell if he seems frustrated that I'm not on the same page as him or sad that I'm not as observant as I used to be.

I shake my head, waiting for him to just tell me what he's thinking.

"They were our files," he whispers as a group of early students pass us. "Student council members aren't supposed to have access to other students' records, but it's not like we have high end security here. If you know where to look, you can easily get information on anyone in this school just by walking to the back office. I don't know what they're planning to do with those records, even I have no idea what could be of use to them within those files, but it looks like they're planning on playing dirty for the next few weeks."

This time I nod, finally understanding where this is going. If they can play games, so can we.