🅴🅿︎ 🆃🅷🅸🆁🆃🆈 🆃🅷🆁🅴🅴

1 chapter left...

Zakari's POV

I've been up all night and I don't think anyone else has gotten much sleep neither. We put on a search for as long as we could until the police advised us to go home and let them take over. I of course didn't follow their advice and went my own way to search for him.

I went to his parent's house just to find a clue of where he's going or if he went there instead like the idiot he is but I pulled up to a crime scene. His house was lined with yellow tape and crawling with officers and neighbors.

I asked what happened and all everyone knew of was gunshots. They rolled his parents out in a body bag after and that's when I knew just how insane he was.

And to think that I didn't fight for him when I had the chance. Anything could've happened to me---I don't care! I just don't want my babies in danger. And judging by the bull that happened last night between Dominique and his own parents...I helped place him in that situation.

I could hear his little sisters crying in the room next to his as I laid in his bed. His room, after a hard talk from Mr. Gates, was the only thing keeping me exerting my energy and looking for him.

His bed had my favorite scent of him, mint eucalyptus. It's not something you hear much when you're complimenting someone on their smell which was even better. It made him unique which he was.

In the short time that he's been gone, I miss him like he's been gone forever.

My aunt and uncle have been calling like crazy and I just couldn't pick up the phone. I haven't been able to do much of communicating with anybody but I just sent them a text in the meantime.

The only thing remotely on my mind is finding them and bringing them home. No matter what I have to do.

I heard a knock on the door as I didn't make a move to turn towards the sound. There was a movement across the floor and then the bed slightly creaked as space was taken up behind me. It was stupid to think of Dominique being there. His presence is the only thing I wanted to feel right now.

A hand was placed on my shoulder as I just stilled.

"Was he at least okay?", I heard Mama Rain's voice crack as I just nodded. A sigh was let out as I just closed my eyes, tucking my head closer to his pillow. The comfort I was feeling was beginning to drift. It's not the same.

The loss I feel...it's worst than my parents. I can only fault myself though, I let him go. I didn't fight hard enough---I should've fought for him! And yet my brain is telling me that it just would've gotten us killed. What should I have done?

"I'm seeing a familiar person in front of me, myself. When I was eighteen, there was this guy. He was obsessed with me and he'd do anything he could to have me---please me. I should've paid more attention to him. If I did, I could've prohibited so much. He took so much from me mentally. He nearly took my husband away from me and he succeeded with an old friend. He did something terrible and I was in the same place you are now. I just looked and felt empty. Like I could've prevented everything if I had just done something. Here's the blunt truth...there is nothing you could've done without creating a chain effect of bad."

"What if there was...what if I had a chance and I missed it?", I turned my head towards him as he smiled depressedly.

"If there was a chance he would be safe. Sometimes we don't get the chance either---we're just left with a bad hand of cards and your only move is to just...fold. At least until an opportunity comes along and makes everything better again."