04: Exhilarating Exam

"You are so dramatic."

Thus were the words of Yami Sukehiro to his golden-masked colleague as he walked through the doorway, the shadow leaving his body as he came into the light of his fellow captains. A blonde female followed after him, her hands clasped together in front of her in formality.

"Fashionably late as always I see." Fuegoleon Vermillion commented in amusement, an apathetic expression resting on his face. The orange haired captain continued, "You know, it wouldn't hurt for you to arrive on time for once." he said in a joking manner.

Yami took his cigarette out of his mouth, blowing the smoke out, "Nah, that's just not my style." he said, taking his seat beside the ever sleeping Dorothy Unsworth. Finral followed suit, standing behind him along with Gordon, beside the other vice captains.

"Tch." Nozel scoffed, turning to the blonde who stood formally at the doorway, "And what of you, Lady Meriam? I don't appreciate you taking after this delinquent's habits of arriving late." he said, narrowing his eyes at her dirtied clothes.

"Eh?" Rill Boismortier perked up, "Meriam's here?! Waah!!! Meriaaam!!! I missed you so so so so much! Fight me!" he said, rushing to the female's side with his fists clenched, a huge grin on his face matching his sparkling eyes.

Meriam let her formality slip, chuckling when Rill crashed into her side in a hug. Despite Yami's comment, Meriam was actually the average height for her age - so she towered over Rill like an older sister. "Hi, Rill!"

"That's 'Lady Meriam', Rill." Fuegoleon reprimanded the child captain for failing to state the female's status. Rill ignored him though, squeezing the female even more. Fuegoleon addressed the female, "Is this a phase?" he asked, eyeing her outfit.

"Er--well, you see," Meriam nervously chuckled, scratching the back of her neck as she answered the ginger captain, "I went exploring quite a bit - I was curious about something."

"Honestly, you should not just chase around every little mystery you see, Meriam." Charlotte Roselei joined in, "You are a 'lady'. A woman of prestige; a noble. You shan't trouble yourself with such trivial matters such as curiosity."

"I, for one, believe we should let Lady Meriam go about her curiosities." William Vangeance commented, his usual polite smile on his face, "She is the Emperor's sister. Theirs is a bloodline meant for a natural born curiosity for things."

Jack the Ripper snickered, "Keke, that's just a nice way of saying she's damn obsessed with mysteries like her brother's damn obsessed with magic." Dorothy snored in agreement.

"That's enough." Nozel cut in, using his magic to drop a cloak and crest into Meriam's hands. "The next time you leave you decide to leave your wardrobe in my chariot I'll have Fuegoleon burn them into ashes." he said in a monotone voice.

Meriam scowled at him, slipping on her golden cloak and crest, "Don't be such a sour candy, Lord Nozel." she said, "I wasn't technically late." she justified, slipping off the hair tie in her hair as they fell into their perfect blonde curls.

"'Lord' Nozel?" Fuegoleon repeated, "Ah, I see. The Magic Emperor has assigned you to the Silver Eagles today, hasn't he." he said in a matter of fact tone. The blonde groaned in vexation and affirmation, taking her place behind Nozel as she placed both of her hands behind her.

Fuegoleon merely chuckled in amusement, shaking his head. Rill frowned, "Awww I wanted Meriam to be my vice captain this week!" he complained, "Why can't she? I mean, she's always with you guys! I want to paint with Meriaam!"

Meriam gave a close eyed smile.

"Are you dumb or something?" Yami said out loud to the youngest captain, "You have to actually file a request for short stuff to become your squad's vice captain. Unless Julius decides to assign her to the squad himself, you actually have to do damn paperwork."