05: Mirthful Meetings

"Oi. Short stuff."

Meriam Novachrono looked back, the clinking sound of her heels along the tiles halting as she turned her head backwards, her blonde hair swishing with her as she met eyes with the tall Black Bulls captain. "Yami-kun." she greeted with a nod, her eyes trailing over to Finral and Gordon who stood idly by behind him.

"Where's the braid freak?" he asked.

Meriam smiled, "Nozel went ahead. The exam is over as well as my assignment to his squad." she explained, "I'm headed to the Royal Capital now, is there anything you need?" she asked, turning her body to face the male.

Yami blew out a puff of smoke, "Accompany me back to the base with these freaks." he said, gesturing to the two Black Bull members behind him who stared at him with mild insult and bafflement. "I already did the paperwork shit with Julius and all so don't worry."

The blonde pursed her lips, "You did paperwork?"

"Well Finral did but he's not important." Yami shrugged.

"I'm literally right here." Finral said, sweat dropping. Yami turned back to him with a death glare, "Who said you could interrupt our conversation, you wanna die?" he asked menacingly, his eyes turning into red as a shadow went over his features. Finral flinched and shied away.

Meriam chuckled at his antics, "You really ought to stop scaring your members, Yami-kun." she said, "Speaking of which, where's your new recruit? Asta, was his name?" she asked. Ah that was right, Yami ended up choosing the ash blonde boy Meriam was so fascinated with to join his squad - though she knew it was mostly because Yami was fascinated with the boy himself.

"You're funny." was what Yami said in the face of the boy's passionate declaration to become the magic emperor. Meriam was amused by it all. That little boy wanted to become what her brother was - he wanted to become the Magic Emperor. Meriam was indeed intrigued.

"He's taking a shit somewhere." Yami answered nonchalantly, "So how about it, shorty. Accompany me and my squad back to the base." he said, "Well, not that you have a choice. I already did the damn paperwork."

The blonde rolled her eyes, "How gentlemanly." she said in sarcasm before smiling and bowing to the male with her skirt in one hand. "Well then, Captain Yami," she said, standing up straight as she smiled at them, "Vice Captain Meriam Novachrono at your service."

"Tch. Alright Lady Meriam." he said, taking out the cigarette in his mouth, "So tell me why you were so interested in the little runt with no magic." Yami said bluntly, "Also that boy with the four leaf clover grimoire."

"I mean," she paused, "Who wouldn't be interested in a boy with absolutely no magic existing in a world that praises it?" Meriam's eyes dropped into a half-lidded state, her genuine smile falling into a polite and obviously fake one. "And I believe the four-leaf clover grimoire is self explanatory."

Yami narrowed his eyes at her evasive answers. She really did not want him to know what she was thinking. Though they had known each other for years, Yami still couldn't quite discern what the female was thinking, even by reading her ki. That's what drew him to her in the first place - Meriam Novachrono was an enigma that he found himself intrigued with.

A loud sigh ended their conversation.

Meriam looked over to see the ash blonde boy walking toward them, a satisfied look on his face. She presumed it was the satisfaction of eliminating his body's waste; in other words, the satisfaction of having a good shit.

"You have some balls making me wait this damn long for you." Yami said, not amused in the slightest as he stared down at the boy, "How damn long do you take in the shitter?" he asked rhetorically, a shadow looming over his face.