𝐒𝐢𝐱

CHAPTER SIX:A DOCTOR AND A LAWYER

CHAPTER SIX:
A DOCTOR AND A LAWYER

THE TWO WOMEN MADE THEIR way down the streets of New York, coffee's in their hands as they just took a moment to listen to all of the noise that surrounded them. A small smile fell on Sage's face before she turned her head to look at Maria Hill.

     "So, Maria, what is it that everyone loves about New York?" Sage started, turning her attention to look at the woman. "The lights can't be the only reason people live here."

     "It depends on the person." Maria answered her. "More opportunities, I suppose."

     "To do what? Die of pollution?" Sage quizzed, taking a sip of her coffee. Maria glanced at her, amusement dancing in her eyes before they both decided to take a seat, glancing around at the people and loud traffic that was surrounding them. "So, Miss Hill, what do you do for a living?"

     "I'm a doctor." Maria lied, smiling. Sage rose her eyebrows at this, feigning surprise.

     "A doctor?" Sage quizzed. "I clearly ran into the right kind of person." She gave Maria a small smirk and the woman just shook her head in amusement.

     "What about you, Gillies? What do you do for a living?"

     "Well, nothing at the moment." Sage admitted, her hands wrapped around her coffee cup, relishing in the warmth that it brought to her hands. "Back in London I was a lawyer." 

"Oh?" Maria quizzed, raising an eyebrow. "And now that you're here?"

     She shrugged her shoulders in response. "I don't think I'd want to be a lawyer in America."

     "They make great money." Maria pointed out and the woman nodded her head.

     "I know." Sage took a sip of her drink as she continued with the lie. "I think I want to experience something different. Spread my wings, I guess."

     Maria's phone vibrated, making her give Sage a small smile. Maria pulled out her phone for a moment before glancing up at Sage. She frowned slightly. She never got to go out and just spend time in the streets in New York. What was the odds that she ran into someone that would allow her the chance to actually take a moment and not think about her work place. But of course, with her line of work, there was always a chance of her moment of peace to get disrupted. She looked up at Sage, shaking her phone slightly. "I, uh, I have to go. Work."

     Sage nodded her head, offering the woman a small smile. "Go save some lives, doctor." She watched as Maria stood up. "Maybe I'll see you around."

     Maria offered her small smile, nodding her head. "Yeah, maybe."

     "It was lovely talking with you, Maria." Sage said, standing up as well. "Thank you for showing me a little piece of New York."

     "Anytime." Maria looked at the woman one last time before turning on her heel and walking away, pulling her phone out and bringing it to her ear as she did so. Sage watched her go, waiting until she was completely out of sight before she let out a soft sigh. She waved down a taxi, getting inside and telling the address in which the apartment that was being rented for her was. A sigh fell from her lips before she pulled out her phone, glancing at the time to see it was only lunch time. She sighed before paying the man and getting out of the taxi, entering her apartment.

She took off her shoes and threw her phone onto the bed before sitting down and rubbing her hands over her face and through her hair. She had a feeling that this task was going to be a lot harder than she ever imagined. Maria Hill was woman with a kind smile and guarded eyes, and that was something that confused Sage to a great extent. If Maria was just as guarded as Sage was, why did she open up so easily? Why did she actually take the chance to talk to Sage instead of waving her off? Did Maria know? Could the woman see through her lies she swore she had stated so well, just like Maria had. If Sage hadn't known the woman's background prior to their greeting, she would have believed the woman and her job as being a doctor.

     Her phone started ringing, making her turn her head to glance down at the caller. She was expecting it to Beatrix, but much to her relief it was only Blake. She softly sighed before picking up the phone, and answering it. "Hello?"

     "Hey, how'd it go?" Blake quizzed.

     Sage found herself fighting a smile. "It went good, actually. I didn't really have much of a plan, but I believe it played out nicely."

     "Good. You'll be home soon, I assume?"

     "This mission is going to take time, Blake." Sage answered him with a soft sigh. "This mission could take months. I have to earn her trust, I'm going to try to avoid the whole being forced to date her part. . . I'll make sure to drop by sometime soon."

     Blake sighed on the other end of the phone. "Alright. Just, be safe, you hear?"

     "Is this you showing you truly care about me, Blake?" Sage asked, amusement clear in her voice.

     "Screw you, Daniels."

     "You wished you could." Sage shot back, a smile now on her face. She listened as the man chuckled on the other end. "I should go. Tell Malia I said hello."

     "Of course."

With another sigh, Sage hung up the phone, fiddling with it in her hands before throwing her phone back on the bed and standing up, moving towards the bathroom so that she could take a shower and clear her head from the many thoughts that were roaming through her brain.