First Snow

I woke with a start, the car was sliding diagonally. Nash cursed and the sound of the tires locking up made my heart skip a beat. We came to a slow halt on the side of the abandoned road. His relieved sigh mirrored my own. Still delayed with sleep and fear I didn't recognize what was outside the car at first. I'm a girl of mild to hot climate so the moment we reached Nebraska and saw real snow drifts up to my knees, well I may have overreacted. My eyes were wide and never left the snow piles on the side of the road. When Nash unlocked the doors I leapt from the older than dirt Ford and face first into the snow. I suddenly had a bucket list of fun things I've always wanted to do but couldn't since South Carolina never got more than a dusting that lasted a few hours. I rolled in the drifts, laughing and enjoying every second. My hands, arms, and legs pricked with numbness but my grin was cemented in place. I rushed back into the truck to warm up before going back out and attempting a snow angle.

He held up the burner phone, a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. "Never seen snow before, hm?"

My teeth chattered as I shook my head. I reached up to get the phone, but he was quicker than lightning.

"I'm sending this to your mom." His left hand typed out a message while the right blasted the heater to max. Before I could protest he hit send. Nash shrugged out of his jacket and draped it over my shoulders.

"Th-thanks." An alert from his phone notified a text message. We never went back for my phone but I had Nicki, my roommate, and mom's phone numbers memorized. I texted Nicki that my mom picked me up from college for a surprise road trip and I'd see her next semester. Nash however insisted he text my mom. He charmed her within an hour, answered every outlandish question, and had her believe I had a secret boyfriend. She wasn't thrilled with me but once she warmed up to him I was once again her favorite only child. I leaned over to see what she said, noticing the picture he sent was when my whole body was covered in snow and my face was peeking out lit up in pure joy.

'Looks fun. Be safe with my baby in the car.'

The compartment under the dash opened with a hard pull. "Hey blueberry granola bars! There's two, want one?" He shook his head and pulled back onto the road. I shrugged and savored every bite. The insurance card was pinned between my thumb and forefinger. We made a game after questions and the radio weren't enough. "Richard Bohman."

"Definitely a mechanic." Nash chimed in.

"What? No way, I'm thinking farmer." He gave me a disbelieving look so I started my case. "There's a freaking wrench in the back."

"Making my point for me." Nash sing-songed cheerfully.

"No." I drug the word out. "That's to fix farm stuff. Like barns, tractors, and fences." My arms crossed as if to finalize it.

"Oh sweet summer child, wrenches fix trucks too. Besides this baby runs so smoothly I'm actually thinking of keeping it."

"You can't keep what's not yours. We're borrowing it only in an emergency. Besides, aren't trucks called gas guzzlers?" We passed through another small town. After the first stolen car I was wired and terrified of being caught by the police. Nash explained old highways and small towns rarely had traffic cameras and police. About every new state or toll booth he stole another trashed car from out in the country. The rougher vehicles were less likely to get noticed, as long as it ran and had state plates we were safer.

Nash took more care on the icy road. "We might have to get on the interstate. The snow plows are probably working their magic there." Through the heavy clouds I could faintly see the sun drifting west. Nash noticed where my attention was and answered the question I didn't know I had. "At least three more hours until sunset. With good roads we should make it to Lincoln in two."