Chapter 1: Monday mornings and chuck taylors

MANNY POV

"Visual is the art of seeing things invisible."

The blues in the background complemented the yellow scarf tied around his face, or her face. We don't know who really is behind but from the sharp cheekbones and jaw it shows that it's a guy, the hair cut too agrees to all the laid out therories.

"Beautiful." I was too focused on the image on my phone that I was oblivious to Ray walking into the room and looking over my shoulder.

I know.

Words couldn't explain how I feel staring at this image, the texture, the angle, the anonymity, the colors. Everything was captivating. He was really talented.

"Guy, its 7:50, tayo class dey start by 8 make we dey go I no wan knee down for outside class again like primary school pikin" Raymond was brushing his hair in the mirror, like It wasn't neat and wavy enough. The black bag he carried was dragging his shirt to one side making him huff as he rearranged it and stroked his chin.

He was mirror addicted.

For a dark skinned guy he sure liked to stare in the mirror for a very long time, no offence but I knew dark skinned people who were a bit lighter than him in complexion break mirrors because of how they looked. Raymond was one who was delighted in how he looked in every area, his dark skin, pink lips, his height and lean body. Girls where always attracted to him one way or the other even though he is a fully fledged nerd.

I stared at myself in the mirror while Raymond locked up the apartment, I was just an average looking guy, chocolate skinned, my eyes were light brown, too light that sometimes it scared people, I was tall but not as tall as Raymond, a rough 5'9 and then my signature look the black beanie that covers my dreads.
I wasn't keen on letting people stare at me for a long period of time and so I tried to hide myself in every way possible, sweats, hoodies, chuck taylors. They protected me.

My ear pods were fixed in my ears like u was listening to some jam but it wasnt connected. I loved listening to the chirping of the birds, the honking of cars, yelling from road side traders, laughs and chuckling from students who meet up with their circle and in the low a barely audible EDM playing in the background.

I stared down at my phone when I got to the venue, waiting for the class to be unlocked before we rushed in to get our 'best' seats. Raymond was talking to some guys at the corner and i turned to look around just in case Dr. Tayo sent someone. That's when I spotted the star in the circle, I would know that logo anywhere. It was rare for people to wear the chuck 70 in this day but someone other than myself was. And it was black just like mine. I
cranked my head to see the person but the sound of the thick yoruba accent caused majority to hurdle together to hear him properly, therefore losing my chance to find the person.

🌼Authors note🌼

Hello everyone, thank you for adding Nightmares and Daydreams into your library I am so grateful you decided to give my book a chance.
I would love to hear what you guys think by hitting the comments, don't forget to vote.

Psst,  there are some nigerian slangs in between their conversations. So more that it's not a typo. Naso we dey talk!(That's how we speak.)

Yours truly,
FSB💙