You Do This To Unwind? - Goose

I don't even look as I throw my bag into the corner, groaning as I shuffle into the living room of my comfortable home, glad now that I put in the extra money to buy an offsite house to come back to, not really feeling like facing the rest of the aviators back at base all at once tonight. Flicking the lights on, I stand and stare out around the room for a second, before shrugging off my uniform jacket and tossing it down on the sofa, stretching out my muscles as I walk over to the coffee table, where a small stereo sits. Bending over, I quickly change the tape inside it and fiddle with the buttons, smiling tiredly to myself as the opening lines to Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol start to play, my body instantly starting to sway in time with the music.

As the music gets louder and louder, the troubles of the day start to fall away, my brain instantly starting to forget the near-catastrophic training flight I partook in today, the stern words of my commander overwhelmed by the more carefree vocals of the song. A smile works it's way onto my face as I focus on the rhythmic music, the tensions starting to drain from my muscles until I start dancing little more wildly, my hands instinctually moving to turn the volume up even further, the prominent guitar melodies encouraging me to join in with my own imaginary instrument. My fingers start to run up and down an invisible fret board, body moving in time with each change in tempo or rhythm, each movement becoming less and less coordinated as I start singing along, my voice slightly hoarse;

"So let's sink another drink                         Cause it'll give me time to think                       If I had the chance I'd ask the world to dance
And I'll be dancin' with myself!"

Still smiling broadly, I throw myself to one of the chairs, continuing to sing and play the air guitar until the song is over, at which point I dramatically drop to my knees, as if onstage at a concert, breathing heavily as the last chords play out. Upon hearing the beginning of the next song, however, I jump back to my feet, ignoring the tired feeling in my body as I start bouncing to the beat again, the words of Joan Jett and The Blackhearts' I Hate Myself For Loving You erupting from my mouth as they do from the speakers on the stereo:

"Midnight, gettin' uptight
Where are you?   
You said you'd meet me, now it's quarter to two                                                                           I know I'm hangin' but I'm still wantin' you."

I move my body along to the beat and flow of the music, very much enjoying the feeling of letting go of the resolve I'm required to carry in the sky, my wild movements uncontrolled and loose, allowing me time to relax as I dance, my mind not fixated on the prospect of training as it stays open and mostly blank. At some point, I climb onto the the coffee table and start ferociously playing the invisible guitar in my grip, singing loudly and passionately as I rock out to myself, completely missing the sound of the front door opening.

*

The car engine gently hums to a halt as I turn the key in the ignition, the headlights ahead of me fading out as the vehicle quietens, allowing me to hear the thumping rhythm emanating from the small house to my left, the tune vaguely familiar to me. Frowning to myself, I climb out of the car and slowly walk up to the front door, rolling up my shirt sleeves as I go, finding myself quite warm despite the chill of the night air, instinctually running a hand through my short hair. I cast a quick glance at the window to the living room, glad to see the lights are on, explaining why there is loud music coming from the small building, a small sigh of relief escaping me as I see this; I could really use a talk with (Y/n), given the crappy day Maverick and I had back at the base.

Stepping up to the front door, I ring the doorbell once and knock three times, just as I always have done, before waiting patiently for her to answer. Bouncing slightly on the balls of my feet, I give it five minutes until I try again, frowning a little as I receive no reply again, worry starting to creep into me as I realise something might've happened to her. Thinking quickly, I look around the porch, going to the plant pots and checking underneath them and in their soil, cursing when I find nothing, my eyes eventually falling on the doormat. Cocking my head, I go over to it and lift a corner, smiling briefly to myself as I catch sight of the small silver key lying there, wondering what (Y/n) was thinking when she left it there. Hastily, I grab it and insert it into the door, grinning triumphantly when it goes in smoothly and turns quickly, the door unlocking for me easily, allowing me easy entrance.

Going in, I move straight to where I know the living room is, throwing open the door as I go, ignoring the pulsing music until I catch sight of the scene in front of me. I can't help the small grin that falls into place on my face as I relax back onto my heels, watching as (Y/n) pulls off a guitar riff on an imaginary guitar, her head moving up and down in time as her body rocks in unison, her hair becoming more and more tangled as she moves faster. Evidently, she hasn't noticed my presence yet.

Just as I go to introduce myself, she opens her mouth and starts singing along, a look of surprise spreading across my face as I listen to her, admiring her vocal ability;

"I hate myself for loving you                       Can't break free from the the things that you do                                                                             I want to walk but I run back to you, that's why                                                                          I hate myself for loving you                                I hate myself for loving you                                I hate myself for loving you."

The song comes to an end and she leaps from the coffee table she's standing on, landing gracefully in front of the sofa, her eyes opening to find me watching her, a look of horror and embarrassment cutting through the relaxed expression from before, her cheeks burning bright red.

"Hey there." I greet her, smirking.

"H-hey Goose." She responds, wiping sweat from her forehead as she moves to turn down the volume of the next song, Barracuda by Heart.

"You look like you're having fun." I tease her, walking closer as she tries not to start dancing again, the catchy rhythm of the song evidently encouraging her.

"Yeah, I guess...I'm just trying to unwind." She mutters, looming down as I stop in front of her.

"Unwind? Did you have a bad day, too?" I inquire, lifting an eyebrow as I start to bounce a little in time with the beat.

"Yeah. Nearly crashed during training and the commanders weren't happy about it."

"You and me, both." I roll my eyes at the memory, remembering the reason I came here, "You do this to unwind?"

"It helps me relax if I let out all my tensions. Music like this makes me feel happy, so it works a treat." She admits, looking away as if embarrassed.

"Sounds like fun. Can I try?" I ask her, hoping it'll help the two of us.

She shoots me an odd look, but nods anyway.

"Yeah, sure."

Grinning, I turn up the volume on the stereo and grab her hands, starting to dance with her as she let's out a hesitant laugh, unsure of what is happening.

"Come on, (Y/n), loosen up!" I encourage her, spinning her as she starts to join in, the two of us smiling widely at one another as we start moving much more violently, as if pretending to have a competition in who can play the air guitar the best.

Singing along, we feel the tensions in the room fade away, both of us losing ourselves to the music as we bounce about, head banging to the strong beat, most likely annoying the neighbours to no end but neither of us caring too much, too caught up in the moment to do so.

A/N: Happy Halloween!🎃🎃 I'm sorry for being inactive, and I'm sorry that this isn't Halloween themed, but I felt like Goose needed some attention 😅 Stay safe and have fun!