Chapter 15

Harold, Janet, and their new friend Bobby spent some time talking about writing. They were fascinated by Bobby's fascination with the subject. The ideas he would conjure up using his imagination were better than the things on their hologram displays. 

"You should write movies!?" Janet declared to Bobby. 

"No, no, no, I don't like it like that. Writing as a job would just ruin it. I do this because I like it," Bobby answered back, sort of annoyed that she'd even consider profiting from it. 

"But you're so talented. People would love this. I've read at least 5 good stories in here," Harold said, getting behind Janet's idea. 

Harold pointed to one story in particular that had him fascinated. Harold thought to himself how he himself would totally watch if it were available on the Heavenly Hologram Network.

"I like my life out here. Writing.. It's just.. It's something I do to pass time. I'll never go back to society. Trying to pitch my ideas would require me to go back to town and make contacts and send it around and this and that." 

Bobby's head was spinning just thinking about how much crap he'd have to go through just to maybe get someone to read his stories. The thought alone was enough and he needed another shot. He poured the whiskey, this time to the absolute brim of the shot glass and shot it back to forget about their idea. Harold and Janet got the sense it was best to just let it be and that their compliments were falling on deaf ears.

"Well, we had fish last night folks. How bout some deer meat tonight?" Bobby changed the subject. 

It was late afternoon probably a little after 4 at this point and it was time to start thinking about making dinner. Plus it would get Harold and Janet off his back about becoming some sort of famous writer. 

But Bobby couldn't help but think for a moment about how maybe it would be nice to go back to society and make some money doing what he enjoyed doing. Maybe find a wife, have some kids. Raise them right with the knowledge he knew about the system. Maybe even find the right lifestyle balance of tech and reality. 

"Harold get dressed I'll give you two some privacy and go grab the meat outside," Bobby said as he threw his boots on and headed out of the cabin. 

Harold's clothes were dry by now. Janet had placed them near the wood burner where'd they been for hours now.

Once he was dressed with a little help from Janet he headed out to find Bobby. Bobby heard the door shut and came over from around the side of the cabin. It was cold out, but warm compared to being submerged in a cold stream. 

"Over here bud," Bobby motioned to Harold. 

Harold waddled his way over to the side of the cabin. He felt sort of skinny and his pants seemed to have shrunk a little to his smaller figure. After all, Janet and himself had done more physical activity in the last week than they had in decades. They also weren't eating nearly as much or being pampered by gizmos and gadgets. 

They'd been doing things on their own. From getting dressed to cooking to falling in streams early in the morning. Harold got around to the side of the cabin where Bobby was. The sun was setting and the last few rays of light were shining through the trees of the Pendlethorne woods. 

The sun cast a light on Bobby who was kneeling down. On the ground in front of him appeared to be pine needles. 

"Check this out," Bobby said. 

He used his hands to wipe away pine needles revealing what looked like a small door. Then with his right hand he lifted the door handle and it revealed a box like structure.