The Replacement [8]

Masami shakily breathed in through her nose and out through her mouth, desperately trying to calm down. If her lungs didn't slow, she would eventually start hyperventilating and most likely faint. The child's unease wasn't helped by the fact that she had nervously bitten her nails down to sore, ugly stubs that pulsated in pain under any pressure. Anxiety was like an unwanted daemon inside of Masami, everyday she just wished to be confident, daring and bold like the other Uchiha kids in the village. But deep down, she knew it would take a miracle for something like that to happen.

Sighing deeply, Masami peered away from her red fingers to look up at the angle seated opposite her in utter adoration. Compared to her crumpled and restless state, Shisui oozed confidence in his demeanour. With his sculptured shoulders poised high in dominance, the male beauty gave a peaceful smile whilst staring down at the menu on the table with hungry eyes.

Masami couldn't help but flutter her eyelids dreamily; even the sun seemed to shine brighter in Shisui's presence.

"Hmm... I fancy some ramen- no, dango! Yeah, dango sounds pretty good right now..." Shisui flicked his dark orbs up at Masami who seemed transfixed on something in the distance. After a second of silence, she finally jumped realising Shisui was addressing her.

"Uh... wha-?" Masami felt her cheeks burn in embarrassment.

"Go on, pick something Masami. Itachi said you haven't had breakfast or lunch yet," he pushed the menu over the table with a single index finger before gracefully propping an elbow up onto the table and resting a heavy head onto his palm. "Guess your family is pretty busy today, huh?"

There was a quiet sigh.

"Yeah... outo-san and okaa-san are always busy..." Masami felt her face drop at the mention of her family. Closing her eyes, she gave a sad shrug and leaned further back in her seat away from the list of foods. The restaurant was peaceful and warm, decorated with many candles that smelt like cherry blossom. Even so, Masami could still not enjoy the welcoming atmosphere after this morning's incident at home. Shisui's presence made a slight difference, but only just.

"Shisui, I- I'm really not that hungry..." Masami looked down at her stomach feeling her appetite slowly evaporate into thin air. It was like her mind was feeding itself with memories of Tobi and no longer needed food in order to survive anymore. Clenching her sides in guilt, the child continued. "I'll just have some juice..."

Shisui raised his head slightly, his face now scarce of any smile.

"No wonder you're so pale Masami, you don't eat!" He frowned, pointing an innocent finger at the girl's petite body. Masami stared blankly at Shisui before sceptically peering down at her own milky white arm. It was a mere twig in comparison to his.

Was she really too pale?

"I do eat... I just don't feel too good at the moment," she mumbled, convincing herself more than Shisui. The older Uchiha felt his frown darken at the sight of Masami hiding her arm under the safety of the table and away from his prying eyes. It was only now he realised how self conscious the girl was compared to her brothers.

A long silence fell between the two.

"Oh wait..." Shisui scratched the back of his neck in an awkward manner; finally realising something important. That was rather unlike him. "Itachi did say that you had hit your head earlier, you're probably still shaken up."

Masami blinked but nodded silently in confirmation.

"Oh..." Shisui's mouth automatically fell into a lopsided smile, for some reason feeling responsible for the child's confrontation. Gently, he leaned over the table to stare closely at Masami's head, inspecting it for any obvious injuries. "Sorry... Did it hurt?"