Chapter Three

"Y/N?" Ushijima questioned

"I-I'm sorry. Did you say something? I spaced out there for a second."

"Umm," Your soulmates shared a look of concern as they glanced over at you, "I think it would be best if we took you home. You don't look too well."

Of course, you didn't look well. Your head was pounding and you just found out that these two men you thought were strangers are actually your soulmates. You were surprised that you were still managing to stand considering how badly your head was spinning with this new information.

"I appreciate your concern, but I don't feel comfortable going home with two strange men, I've only just met."

"Strange men?" Tendou repeated, sounding shocked and slightly offended, by the use of your words, "Were not just some strange men. We're your soulmates!"

Tendou was starting to get frustrated. While he and Ushijima were in a panic trying to find you, you seemed completely unfazed by the arrival of your soulmates. Were you ever even looking for them?

"Listen, I'm sorry, but I'm not looking to find my soulmates. The main focus in my life right now is volleyball, and school, so I have no interest in, or the time for forming a relationship at the moment. I think it would be best if you just forget you ever met me. I'm sorry, but at least you have each other, right? Isn't that enough?"

Your words felt like a punch to the gut. How could you brush them aside so casually? Did they really mean so little to you?

...No, this wasn't you. You weren't thinking straight after that hit to the head. You don't know what you want. You don't know what you need.

"You're right. We understand." Ushijima lied, gripping Tendou's shoulder so he would play along. "However, with your concussion, it would be far safer if you let us take you home," Ushijima tried to reason.

"I'm telling you, I'm okay!" You tried to explain, turning to head back to your team, but you barely made it a few steps before losing your balance. You didn't connect with the floor. Ushijima and Tendou not even giving you the chance before they were each at your side. Holding you upright.

"I'm sorry," Tendou teased, the smirk he wore, obvious in his tone, even without looking at him. "You were saying what exactly?"

"Y/N, we just want to make sure you get home safely. We won't even go inside if that's what you're afraid of. We'll just walk you to your porch."

You felt hesitant, but at the same time maybe it was for the best. Your teammates were already in the middle of a game, and there was no way you would feel okay with stealing one of them away to take you home. You also wouldn't feel comfortable taking the train or bus home this late. Especially with your concussion leaving you extra vulnerable. Maybe letting them take you home was the best option.

"Okay." Your soulmates grinned, and after you shot your teammates a text, saying you'd be going home early, you headed in the direction of the parking lot. Ushijima started the car up, while Tendou opened the back door for you, making sure to close it after you were settled.

Maybe this was a dream. A weird long dream. Maybe that ball knocked you unconscious and you're really in the hospital right now. That would somehow make a lot more sense.

"Seatbelt." Ushijima's deep voice cut in, snapping your attention back to reality. "You need to put on your seatbelt."

You obeyed, clicking the belt in place, then giving your address to Tendou so he could type it into his phone.

"Try to get some rest. We'll wake you when we're close."

You didn't know if it was the concussion or the fact that you played three volleyball matches in a row, but you felt exhausted. Already feeling yourself dozing off as you placed your head against the car door.

As you slept soundly in the back seat, Ushijima and Tendou stayed silent in the front seat so as not to wake you. Your words from earlier echoing through their brain like a broken record stuck on a constant loop.

'I think it would be best if you just forget you ever met me. I'm sorry, but at least you have each other, right? Isn't that enough?'

Did you even hear the words coming out of your mouth? Of course, it wasn't enough. How could they go on with their lives as if they had never found you? They already felt such a strong connection to you, that it would be nearly impossible for the two of them to just forget about you completely. Yet, you say it so casually. As if it would be so simple to just walk away. But what you were asking for was just not in the cards. They needed you. And you needed them. You just didn't know it yet. But that's okay. They could help you realize just how much you needed them too.