Chapter 22

IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ:

I will not be posting for one week as this is the last chapter of year one. I would like a short break before I start year 2. Thank you for all your support and I hope you have liked my book so far.

1430 words

Melissa's POV

True enough, the dementors did come back trying to attack me. I tried my best to not let them; I had to produce the patronus charm 3 times in total and I was starting to get exhausted; the charm took all my energy away from me, it was almost like the magic was drained out of me. I could still hear faint screams and shouts coming out of my friends' mouths. From the words they uttered I gathered that the last task was wizard chess. Time just passed by as I waited and waited for my friends to come back.. it felt like hours had passed. I got so nervous I started to fiddle with the necklace Harry gifted me for Christmas. I was beginning to worry as everything went silent; there was not a single sound until Hermione started to scream my name. My heart raced through my chest and panic washed over me. "Hermione are you okay?!" I shouted back at her. She told me that Ron was knocked out and she needed to warn Professor dumbledore. Apparently Harry had carried on with the mission; my body ached for Harry, wishing he was safe. Many different thoughts were flowing through my mind at once, everything was muffled and they were overlapping each other. I was overwhelmed by the situation I had seemed to caught myself in, my worry for Ron grew. Yes, I am still upset about what he said about my father but he's still my friend. I still care for him. Moments pass by as Hermione rushes off to find Dumbledore whilst I await anxiously with Ron praying that the dementors won't find their way back to me.

THE NEXT DAY

I was with Hermione and Ron, we were just talking about our shared worry for Harry. Ron decides to apologise to me. "Melissa, I am truly sorry for accusing your father when it wasn't him. I should have listened and believed you. I am sorry for taking out my anger on you, I wasn't a good friend and I feel guilty I wasn't. Can you forgive me?" I told Ron that I can forgive him, after all he's still my friend and I have no clue what I would do without his constant jokes. I missed him rather too much. As we hug each other, I notice out of the corner of my eye Harry was standing on the floor whilst we were on the balcony. "All right there Melissa? Ron?" Harry was concerned about our well-being, how cute. "Yeah I'm alright, yourself?" Ron and I both say. Harry's concern then turns to Hermione. "I'm good, Hermione?" Which she replies to him with "Never better." We all exchange smiles as we are happy that everyone is well. I can't believe what a hectic year this has been.

Melissa's POV

The Great Hall is full of students eating and engaging in conversations with each other. There are green and silver banners with the Slytherin symbol above their heads, already indicating the house with the most house points. Professor McGonagall clinks a spoon at her glass to signal that she wants attention from the students which results in the crowd to fall silent. Dumbledore stands up and speaks with his magically magnified voice. "Another year, gone! And now, as I understand it, the house cup needs awarded and the points stand thus. In fourth place: Gryffindor, with 312 points! In third place: Hufflepuff, with 352 points! Second: Ravenclaw, with 426 points! And in first place, with 472 points: Slytherin house!" A loud roar rises from the Slytherin table, as students stand up and clap for their selves. I watch as Draco triumph in glory as he sticks his tongue out at me. Which leads me to laugh at his silly behaviour, I also catch the eye of my father which he seems to be clapping for his house. Well, my house hasn't won but I am happy for my father as well as Draco. 

Just as I watch the scene ahead of me, Dumbledore seems to speak."Yes, well done Slytherin, well done Slytherin. However, recent events must be taken into account and I have a few last minute points to award. First, to Miss Hermione Granger, for the cool use of intellect while others were in grave peril, thirty five points!" Hermione looks surprised, while the other Gryffindor's clap for her including me. Finally, she's getting credit for all her hard work. "Second, to Melissa Snape for her outstanding success of using the patronus charm. A charm so powerful, way beyond the capabilities of a first year, yet she shows great courage and strength to perform it not only once but three times to save herself and her friends. I award thirty five points." As my name gets called I smile to myself. Whispers travel around me wondering on how I had learnt such a complex charm. My father raises his glass for me to show that he's proud. Harry congratulates me as many others. I receive many surprised looks from the years ahead of me. "Third, to Mr Ronald Weasley, for the best played game of chess that Hogwarts has seen these many years, thirty five points!" Ron looks even more surprised than Hermione and Melissa did. The Gryffindor table is applauding even louder as they hear their house is receiving house points. "And forth, to mister Harry Potter, for pure love and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor house, fifty five points! The Gryffindors cheer again, this time even louder than before. Hermione warns us that we are tied with Slytherin; emotions flow through me as I find out we might have a standing chance, we just need one more point. "And finally, it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. I award ten points to Neville Longbottom!" As I hear those words come out from Dumbledore's mouth, excitement flows through my body. I clap for Neville, at last, his bravery has been noticed. "Assuming that my calculations are correct, I believe that a change of decoration is in order!" Professor Dumbledore motions his hands towards the Slytherin banners where they flap heavily until the banners change into red and gold with the Gryffindor symbol on them. "Gryffindor wins the house cup!" 

I turn my head towards Harry as I was sitting next to him. Without a second thought, I immediately embraced him with a massive hug. "I can't believe we won! This is fantastic!" I wide smile places itself onto my face. "I know Melissa. It's the best thing to happen all year!" I pull away from him and question him. "Oh so meeting me was not the best thing then?" Harry chuckles as I joke around with him. Cheers flow through the whole of the Gryffindor table. Many people exchanged hugs with me as every ounce of happiness flows through my body. I turn my head to look at Draco which I stick my tongue out at him. Motioning in the same way as he did to me just a few moments ago. He laughs to himself as claps his hands just for me. We look longingly at each other for a while as I wonder of the thought that we could be friends. I hope that we will be. I then decide to search for my dad in a crowd of people; I catch sight of him and he applauds for me and mouths a 'well done.' This is the perfect way to end an adventurous year of school.

THE NEXT DAY

Melissa's POV

Ron, Hermione, Harry and I were boarding the train to go back home. Just as we are about to walk on and find some seats, Harry decides to say goodbye to Hagrid. We wait patiently for Harry to do so. Ron and I immediately start talking about our plans for the holidays. I told him how I am going to Italy for the summer holidays. As we talk about the hotel I am staying at Hermione interrupts us with saying the words "Feels strange to be going home, doesn't it?" I nod along as I feel sad that I won't see my friends for the whole of my summer vacation. "I'm not going home. Not really." Harry comments. Just then, the train whistles as a signal that it's leaving. Harry, Ron, Hermione and I wave goodbye to Hagrid as this is the last time we will see him until next year.