Going Public

The secluded lunch spot that he and his friends sat at was one of Keith's favourite places. It was a place we're he could hang with them without dealing with anyone else. Keith wasn't very much of a people person. Though there was one person he would always be happy to see without fail.

Lance.

He could hear the boys beautiful voice, meaning that the Cuban was already at the spot. Though as Keith began to catch fragments of the conversation he paused behind the wall. Now another voice had spoken up. It sounded like Hunks, Lances best friend.

"If you want to go public just tell him Lance," Hunk spoke. They were talking about Lance and him. Hunk and Pidge were the only people who new of Keith and Lance's relationship. Keith didn't want to go public because of the possible reaction of others. Especially his father.

Lance sighed and Keith could hear the struggle in it. "I can't do that Hunk. You know that. Keith's father will kick him out," the Cuban wallowed.

"Maybe try talking to Keith about how you feel. You can't keep it a secret forever and I can tell your finding it hard to stay secret," Hunk suggested. And Keith had to agree he was right. Keith was dragging Lance down. Holding him back from doing things he wanted to. And he didn't want to do that.

Deciding it was finally time to show himself, Keith walked around the corner. Both boys stopped and looked at him. "Oh, hey Keith," Hunk greeted.

Keith waved, sitting down next to Lance who placed a kiss on his cheek. "Hunk do you mind if we talk?" he asked.

Hunk gasped, before quickly getting to his feet and walking around the corner. You could hear that Pidge had appeared and the two listened as Hunk explained what was going on and led her away. Lance let out and chuckled while Keith smiled fondly before gazing back to Land. "Yeah?"

"Keith... I love you-" Lance had said that a few times and Keith had said it back, but every times the Cuban said it, it caused his heart to swell.  "-and I really want to go public. I want to be able to show affection when others are around. I want everyone to know that your mine so no one can try to take you." Keith wasn't sure that was true. Lance was the one everyone wanted. Not him.

"You know I can't do that. My dad'll-" Keith began before being interrupted.

"Yeah yeah. I know you dad will kick you out." Lance sighed getting to his feet. "Anyway I better go find Hunk," he said sadly, caused Keith to wince. The shorter watched as Lance turned the corner. He didn't want to loose him. Maybe it was worth the risk?

———

Lance walked into school the next day, surprised to see Keith running up to him. The boy kissed him on the lips briefly before smiling at him. "Keith! What are you doing, we're in public!" he whispered frantically. He looked around spotting a few people staring. They stopped to gossip to a friend before continuing on with their day.

Keith grabbed one of Lances hands. "I thought about it and I decided. I want to go public. Your 're important to be Lance and I want to make you happy." He could swear he say Lance's eyes beginning to water before the boy paused.

"What about your dad?" he asked, caressing Keith's face.

"He won't find out. What he doesn't know won't hurt him." Keith smiled lovingly at Lance. As he did the bell rang.

Lance tightly hugged him before speaking. "Oh gosh I have it tell hunk! I love you so much!" he yelled running off to class.

Keith smiled at his boyfriend before letting out a shaky breath. He couldn't do this. His dad was definitely going to find out.