- eighteen

Lord Tewksbury's POV :

Before the carriage move away, I strike an eye on Enola's path, it would be my pleasure to know that she's safe after all. Meanwhile, I saw a guy showed up on the side and it was William. I carefully watched them talk even though it's inaudible. Looking at their faces, they seem sincere and letting out emotions on each other. I can see how William caressed his hand on her face and Enola hugged William tightly which to be honest... quite made me heavy.. I did not want to see more so I looked away and the carriage goes on too.

Watching that scene made me think about what Eleanor mentioned. They were spotted on a place, only both of them. She even said they were having some lovers quarrel. On the other hand, I should have asked Enola about it. I was about to but maybe what I saw confirms everything.

"Tewksbury,  you finally came home!" Martina hugged me and I can say she's kind of excited.

"Benvenuto a casa, Lord Tewksbury."  The head of the Campbell—Martina's father said.

Wait what? Why are her parents and our families in here, all together?

"Since you're finally here, we could already talk about the wedding.."

Mother grabbed my left arm and walked along with me as we went into our room, the meeting place room to be specific. I could feel my nervousness in my head, beating out loud and my hands are shaking. I think I know where this is going to go.

"Our Lord Tewksbury has turned 19.... which means you two are allowed to take in marriage." Martina's grandmother explained.

Marriage.

"I would be so happy in behalf of your father, Lord Tewksbury. You deserve to get married to my very independent and qualified niece, Martina." His uncle Nicolo commented.

"Uncle, you don't have to compliment me like that!"

"But, Martina is not 19 yet... We should be both in the same age.... That is the first rule right?" I defended myself, I can't let this happen.

"Oh dear, I'm so sorry to break it to you but we really needed to get you both married."

"It is suppose to happen, we already talked about this, don't we?" Mother held my hand tightly and stared at me wide eyed.

My head is about to blow up, these people are way too exaggerated and advance. I don't want to marry yet. I never wanted to do this in the first place, not even a slightest chance. If only I didn't care about my family's image into the public!

"Mother..."

"He seemed to agree into it, how about you Martina?" Martina's father insisted.

Paying attention to Martina's facial expression, she seemed to be nervous as I am. Her fretful and scared eyes were telling something. She was unable to give an answer for a second only until her mother slammed the table.

"Y....Yes mother."

"Good, now when will be the wedding and the venue? And the church?"

Nicolo suggested a place wherein only rich people could go inside, secured place to be exact-The Belair House.

"2 days from now? Or a week?"

"Tomorrow?" "Next week?"

Voices were all over the room, this was really uneasy for me. It was devastating,  that the fact I did not tell Enola about this and how she and William has some 'thing.' If only I could wish for something endlessly, I could've avoided this situation. I gazed my eyes at Martina, she's frozen in her position. She seemed down and at the beginning, I thought that she was excited about it. Turns out, I was wrong. Or I was wrong about my impression at her?

"Martina?"

"I'm so sorry."

She walked away after that and I could see her being in the verge of tears, I don't know what to say or to react. All I know is that I feel bad that this thing happened to us. Being forced, just to get some power.

"Martina! Go and bring her back here, Nicolo!" Her mom dictated.

Nicolo rushed to find Martina and my emotions were like hers, too. Running away and the feeling that I wanted this to end. I was left in my chair along with our both families. The stares were intimidating, honestly. My mother whom is next to me held my hand which made me face her.

"Mother, do I really have to do this?" I whispered.

"I'm afraid you do."

"But, I'm already in love with someone else, Mother please..." I said trying not to break my voice. She did not utter a word and removed my hand on hers, she looked away and crossed her arms.

"Whatever it is, Tewksbury. Make your decisions right. Marry a woman with goals, not just some lady you see. I know she is great but we need this. We need power." Mother replied murmuring.

I took a deep sigh and faced the other way.

"So, Tewksbury, I'm sure you are excited as we are. Please take care of our daughter as we gave her to you. Take care of the power you'll both be having, best of luck you two!" Martina's father exclaimed, happily. I awkwardly smiled. On the other side, I saw how Nicolo grab Martina's hand, pulling her back into the room. Martina's bun became a ponytail and from here, I can see her melancholy eyes.

"Let go of her!"

Nicolo was shocked and he even left Martina behind. She sniffed her nose and got up by her self. She returned to us with puffy eyes and sat down as if nothing happened.

"You two get a little talk somewhere, and Martina, do as I say! I know you've been waiting for this. Now go!" Her mother commanded. Seems to me that her mother lost her temper.

We were forced to go outside and talk, but as we were walking, she mentioned something.

"You know what, I never really liked this. I mean, I did once. But knowing it's a force type of love, the excitement does not reach me at all."

For the first time, she actually showed her real self.

"I'm so sorry for pushing you away. If only I know this side, I wouldn't. Instead, we'd team up to let them down." I chuckled.

"Tewksbury, you were that someone I used to love, I really admire everything about you and that includes the old me, begging for marriage. I guess..... loving someone can really change your old opinions that you thought matter at first."

"You're in love?"

"I am, Tewksbury. Just like you." She said, taking an intake of breath.

"I..." I did not get to finish my word when she added,

"You think I wouldn't know how you always wanted to dance with her that night? The way you lighted your candle every time you went to bed? The way you always had that smile on your face? Knowing you felt that for Enola made me think that.... maybe it is right to let you go, at least you were with someone that can make you happy more than a woman like me can do."

I was speechless, she was selfless this time. I might never know it but she did care for me and Enola.

"I.. I'm so sorry. That's all I can think of something to say.. I wish you every happiness in the world, especially to the person you're in fond of."

"I wished the same too, Tewksbury."