c h a p t e r e i g h t

Snape started the class by takin the roll call but paused at holly's name.

"Ah yes," he said softly, "Holly Potter. Our new – celebrity."

Every slytherin in class excluding me snickered behind their hands. Snape finished calling the names and looked up at the class. His dark eyes taking in the class and momentarily stopping at mine before continuing surveying the class.

"you are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion-making," he began. He spoke in barely more than a whisper, but the caught every word – like Professor McGonall, Snape had the gift of keeping a class silent without effort. "As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the soft simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses . . .. I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stop death – if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."

More silence followed this little speech. Holly and Ron exchanged looks of raised eyebrows while I was practically shaking on my sit from pure excitement

"Potter!" said Snape suddenly "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" and it was clear he was talking to holly since he was glaring at her

"I don't know "said holly causing me to almost groan from the lack of knowledge in her tiny head of hers

"let's try the other one then." Snape said turning around then wrinkling his nose at my slytherin colours "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

"a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of the living death" I said watching his eyes widen in shock

"it seems as the lesser known twin has absorbed The Girl-who-livedo's brains 5 points to Slytherin" Snape drawled on

Things did not improve for the Gryffindors as the lesson continued. Snape put us all in pairs and set us to mixing up a simple potion to cure boils in which in my opinion I could do it in my sleep but with pansy I had to include her to so I collected the ingredient and she mixed under my watchful gaze. The batSnape was walking  around in his long, black cloak, watching us weigh dried nettles and crush snake fangs, cruising lost everyone expect Draco's group like Bish Draco is on step 5 while we were on step 7 and he kept sending me sheepish looks that made me grin back but sadly Neville's potion had somehow managed to melt Seamus cauldron into a twisted blob, and their potion was seeping across the stone floor, burning holes in people's shoes. Within seconds, the whole class excluding slytherin since I had cast a strong Protego, were standing on their stools while Neville, who had been drenched on the potion when the cauldron collapsed, moaned in pain as angry boils sprang up all over his arms and legs.

"idiot Boy!" snarled Snape, clearing the spilled potion away with one wave of his wand. "I suppose you added the porcupine quills before taking the cauldron off the fire?"

Neville whimpered as the boils started to pop all over his nose.

"take him to the hospital wing," Snape spat at Seamus. Then he rounded on Holly and Ron, who had been working next to Neville.

"you – potter- why didn't you tell him not to add the quills? Thought he'd make you look good if he got it wrong, did you? That's another point you've lost for Gryffindor."

In my opinion even if holly knew how to make the potion she wouldn't care less about the outcome but when my shield came down everyone was clear impressed but Snape chose to not say anything about the fact that I managed to cast a fully functional shield and my potion was 100% done but when me and pansy took our vials to his desk he just nodded and took them but as soon as I was at the door we the rest of the class I could have sworn I saw a tiny minuscule smirk appear as he examined my vial but I couldn't get a closer look since we were washed away with the sea of student all heading towards there various class but since I had transfiguration with the hufflepuff's,  I headed towards the class with Draco, Blaise, Theo, pansy and like in potions the slytherins sat on the left side of the class farthest at the door with me and Draco at the front.

"transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts," Professor McGonall said addressing the entire class. "Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned."

She then turned her desk into a pig and back again. I was certainly impressed and from the look of awe from my classmate I can say they were to and couldn't wait to get started but we all soon realized that we weren't to be changing the furniture into animals for a long time. After taking a lot of complicated note in which I colour coded and sorted them out, we were each given a match and we started to try to turn into a needle. By the end of the lesson only I and Karen managed to fully turn our match into a needle earning us 10 point to hufflepuff and slytherin while Draco, and another puff had made a slight change in theirs earning them each one point.

After that we had our last lesson before lunch which was Herbology with the Ravenclaws and the lesson was spent reviewing the years plan and the Professor, Sprout was really nice though she decided to choose the sitting plans for the entire year so I ended up sitting to my left, drumroll please. . .