Chapter 2 Shehnaaz

The last 5 years that I have spent in Mumbai have taught me that talent is not enough to make dreams come true. I came to Mumbai when I had just graduated from college in order to pursue my dreams of being a singer. I was young and overconfident about my skill; the world was on my feet and I thought nothing was impossible.

As if...

Now when I think of that time, I only laugh at my younger self and my never say never attitude.

My parents are conservative Punjabis and were against me going to live in Mumbai alone. But I was young and naive, so I fought with them and ran away from home to come to the City of dreams. My friend Siya gave me a place to stay and I thought I was going to be the next big thing in Bollywood. But my ambitions could never become a reality. I struggled and struggled and struggled but nothing happened. I didn't become the next big thing in Bollywood but did end up working part-time as a singer at a restaurant. My week was spent taking care of Siya's two adorable kids when she was at work and then singing in the restaurant on alternate nights.

The restaurant's manager Ayan and Siya have been my support systems for a long time. Their constant backing is the reason that I was able to survive in Mumbai for the last 5 years. Siya and her husband loved me like their own and never made me feel like a burden. But yesterday, they told me that they are moving back home to Delhi to take care of their old parents and their family business.

I felt numb at that time and told them that I will be okay. I reassured them the best that I could but Siya knows me in and out.

She came into my room late at night and I just wept in front of her. I couldn't control my tears.

"Sssh, shh", cooed Siya as she wrapped her arms around me. This wasn't my first break down.

"I can't handle this anymore, Siya. I have not been anything but a disappointment ever since I've come here. I couldn't become what I wanted to. I ran away for fucking nothing, Siya. All dreams are not meant to come true. I am and always will be a failure."

"You tried your best Shehnaaz and no one knows that better than me. You have struggled and worked harder than any person I have ever met. Your time is yet to come. Don't be so hard on yourself. I will always be there for you no matter what happens.", said Siya while softly caressing my hair.

"You and Abhi have done nothing but help me for the last 5 years without asking for anything in return. And now I am crying because after you leave, I will have nowhere to go. I'll be more alone than before.", I said clinging harder to her.

She put my head on her chest and rocked me back and forth like a little kid.

"As long as I am alive, you will never be alone.", she said.

"And I know you will need a place to stay after we leave, so I decided to make some arrangements", said Siya.

"No please. You have done enough; I will look for a room. Don't worry.", I said trying to reassure her.

"Shut up. Don't forget that you are like family to me. And listen carefully, you have an interview tomorrow." said Siya.

"Is the landlord some hotshot? Why does he need to interview me?", I asked all confused.

Siya giggled and said, "No, you idiot. My friend Sania who works at Mum Care Agency told me that they have a client that needs a stay at home nanny for his 4-year-old son. His partner died 3 months ago and since then he has been struggling with his son and his work. So, I recommended your name to her and said that you'll be perfect for the job because kids love you and you are perfectly capable to take care of them. This will also save your rent expenses and help you make some good money until you get a good singing opportunity."