The Question

I managed to make myself seem calm and collected as Gabriel Lightwood sat down opposite to myself. Gabriel and I had become rather close in the last few months considering that he was my training instructor back at the institute. Now that everything had settled down with the Nephilim and Mortmain, the London shadowhunters were continuing their daily lives and errands.

We politely greeted each other and I began to wonder why by the Angel Gabriel would be here, a peaceful environment.

I suppose without realizing it I was giving him a questioning look, and so he said, "Cecily, before you say anything, I have a question to ask you." Before he could continue, i swiftly cut him off to ask, "Gabriel, did you follow me here?"

I now looked directly into his luminous emerald eyes with a smirk quickly forming onto my lips. As soon as the question left my mouth, Gabriel flushed and I could tell he was trying to hide it from me. However, it was to no use, I had already gotten the answer I wanted.

"I can assure you I did no such thing!" He seemed quite taken aback that I would have suggested this. The only part of his act that gave him away was the little smile tugging at his lips that he was trying to hide.

"And I can assure you, Mr. Ligthwood, I am an expert in seeing through you." I said.

"I have absolutely no clue as to what you are talking about. Besides, I have told you countless times to cease calling me Mr. Lightwood." This was true, he had told me multiple times to simply call him by his Christian name, but when we were arguing it was much more amusing to call him Mr. Lightwood, for I knew it bothered him. It was just so much fun to go back and forth with Gabriel this way, the look on his face, as if he could not believe that yet again a fifteen year old girl was making a fool out of him.

"Gabriel, will you ask me this important question or not?" I asked trying to get to the point of the whole conversation.

"You Herondales have quite a talent, you know that?"

"What sort of talent would that be?" I asked with a curious look on my face.

"Why of course, a talent of getting my blood boiling and rendering me speechless, what else could it be?"

And with that a little giggle escaped from me, I looked down at my now cool tea and then back up at Gabriel. He had a smile plastered across his face, he was also laughing softly now. He had an overall happy and radiant look to him today.

"Gabriel?"

"Yes, Cecily?"

"You said you came to ask me one of your relentless questions?" I asked playfully, still giggling.

"I almost forgot, sorry about that by the way. Sometimes I loose track of what I need to say or do when I'm with you." Again, Gabriel turned an adorable shade of pink. He almost looked surprised, as if he hadn't meant for that to escape him. "I wanted to ask if you would like to go see the fireworks with me tonight."

Our eyes were locked and I knew that my face now gave away my answer. But, as a Herondale I needed to do my job and tease this Lightwood just a tad before giving in to him.

"I do not know Mr. Lightwood, it all depends on what you answer to my following question."

"If you must ask this question, then go along I suppose."

"Well, as a young lady, I would like to know, what are your intentions?" At this he began to laugh, while i remained all too serious, trying to keep up my act.

"Why Cecily, I have the worst intentions one could possibly have. He said with absolute amusement. I tried to maintain a surprised look on my face.

"Mr. Lightwood! That is horrible!" I played along.

"Well, now that you know my plans and my intentions toward you, will you come with me willingly or by force?"

"Are you saying that you would literally drag me to this event Gabriel?" Realizing I had just used his Christian name, I blushed slightly, hopefully not enough for Gabriel to have seen.

"Maybe you can see right through me Cecily. For once in my life, I do not see a problem with letting a Herondale be the centre of my focus."

And with that Gabriel Lightwood stood up from his seat and planted a kiss on my cheek. I could not help the wonderful feeling I had inside, it felt as if there were an entire family of butterflies inside my stomach fluttering around. I looked down at the brown cafe table and noticed a small paper.

The note read, "I will be at your room to pick you up at 7:00 tonight."