Chapter II: Go Home

Day 0.5

LATELY FRIDAYS HAVE BEEN PECULIAR. Similar to any other town or city during the weekend Rin's coastal hometown of Ventura saw most of its traffic during the weekends. The time of the week where families and friends join in on the fun and festivities held at the end of the week. Normal celebratory events would include, but not be limited to topics such as job opportunities, birthdays, or anniversaries. You know, normal humane activities pre-virus era.

Nowadays it seems like the only thing you see on Fridays mostly includes supermarket trips, doctor appointments, or virus testing.

There was a bright side to the latest virus-craze buzzing around the town - traffic was spectacular. Spotless. Absolutely stunning. There were only maybe twenty cars spread along the main strip. Dozens of cars less than normal as people were heading home.

Driving her grandfather's old car, Rin's car screeched to a slow halt at a red light intersection. Her thoughts being consumed with worry and guilt over her friend Carter, as well as the suspicious scratch which warped over his forearm.

"He'll be okay," Rin said out loud to herself, "it's just a scratch that he got during his shift at the Emergency Room." Shaking her head to break herself from the daze she gripped the sleek, black leather wheel, where the California sun-bleaching and town dust devils slowly tinted it to a dark brown.

Checking her gas levels she decided to stop by the local gas station, Roger's Brew & Fuel. A Mom and Pop pit-stop shop for long-distance travelers run by Aunt Jane and Uncle Roger. They were in no way related to Rin, in fact all but one of their kids had grown up and started lives of their own in the bigger cities. Yet the two preferred everyone in town to call them such and so everyone did.

Rin pulled up by pump seven which was located in her sweet spot. Her mother told her two important things in life as a woman. Always situate yourself nearest to the exit and never get gasoline when daylight is down or else you'll bump into 'issues' as she preferred to call it. What issues did she mean? Rin had no clue. Perhaps it was to avoid getting hit by crazy drivers who hit the fuel pumps or a gas station robbery. However, no matter how likely that may be, she still needed gasoline and caffeine to keep her awake.

After rolling up her windows Rin walked into the store. At the counter the clerk, who also happened to be the owners' teenage son Richard, leaned his elbow on the glass pane. Obviously bored out of his mind, but she knew his parents grounded him for the week for sneaking out of the house to smoke weed with the wrong crowd. His punishment was that he had to serve night shift for two weeks without tips. Of course Rin heard from a little mother bird that they were going to store the tips into his college fund.

"Heya Rin, how're you doing?" Richard asked. He picked up the mini-tv clicker and switched channels mindlessly.

"Doing well, doing well." Rin replied. She immediately went towards the fridge aisle with her eyes set on a peach Red Bull. "What day are you on now Ricky?"

"I lost count," He said, "you know the saying - time flies when you're having fun." Richard drank the last of his coffee and crushed the cup. Apparently his third cup as she turned her head seeing the other two cardboard cups crushed on top of the counter.

"You know drinking so much coffee will keep you up all night."

Rin opened the fridge door and grabbed two cans of peach Red Bull. She went around the small aisles scanning the store for her favorite junk foods. Finally, Rin went ahead and grabbed a 3-liter water jug and a bag of sea salt and vinegar kettle chips.

She walked up to the counter. After lifting the items onto the glass she pulled out two twenty bills and slapped her palm on the glass.

"Pump seven please!" Rin huffed. At the same time she mentally poked her brain that she needed to get back into shape, or rather counter needs to lower in height.