Chapter III: Lights Out

Day 0.75

THE NEIGHBORHOOD WAS QUIET. The power lines hadn't crashed from the blowing wind, not yet at least. Cars could be seen parked in their according unofficial official parking spots that owners claimed over the years. The neighborhood cat was wandering the lawns looking for his next meal.

Time seemed to not exist in the peaceful suburban neighborhood and so did the concept of lighting. The entire neighborhood was pitch black, partially because her neighbors were always vampires and were barely seen leaving their house unless it was evening. Primarily to shy away from the sunlight, or if there was word buzzing around about a party. The perks of living in a semi-retirement based hub in California.

Admittedly the quietness was more so than Rin expected on a bustling Friday night. Summers in the town meant classy neighborhood block parties. Families would bring out the barbecues where they bring out the inflatable pools for the children, and the adults would crack open cold beer or a bottle of wine in the intense annual heatwave. Lasting the entire weekend Rin experienced those three days of jubilance during her summer breaks. Despite the fact that she would usually spend those three days inside binge-watching her favorite crime dramas, the meaning behind the neighborhood festivities was still there.

Yet as she pulled into her cul de sac there was no neighbor or animal in sight. Windows closed, garages shut. The garbage bins were empty and remained curbside from the Friday morning pickup, with no bother to haul them back inside. Everyone knew it was too early on the 2-day rule for the Homeowners Association to dock you on your next monthly fee.

The street was too dark actually, which forced Rin to press forward slowly in the night. She did not want to be the first person in ten years to cause a crash on the block.

With another turn around a corner the rustic country home that she knew and loved was visible from afar. Rin settled the car in front of the garage, practically rapid-firing the door's click-remote. Dark neighborhood while in a freezing car, no thank you.

No one's home, Rin thought. I hope they went to the grocery store, I'm starving.

Rin glanced at her tote bag filled with the food from the Roger's Brew & Fuel and pressed her hand on her stomach, hearing the loud growl from her stomach.

"Correction to myself, I'm starving for real food." Rin muttered out loud, disdain in her voice for the potential 'creepy crawling creatures' her mother commonly referred to when she was a kid.

The door wouldn't budge.

"Damnit."

With a loud groan she pulled herself out from the driver's seat and shuffled over to the side gate to the backyard. Noticing a dark wooden crate top leaning against the side of the house Rin moved it towards the side gate. She pulled the small lever to open the gate and went towards the backyard, moving around the bags of empty diet coke cans. There laid a ceramic statuette of a cat in its boat-like position. Little did any potential robber know that the insides of the statue were empty and a small ziploc bag with the house key was attached to the roof.

"Ugh, of course there's a spider egg nest. Note to self: burn the cute cat statue." Rin said. She grabbed the ziploc bag and walked back towards the side gate.

She walked further down the side of the house until she reached the door to the garage. Fumbling with the ziploc, she grabbed the key and jiggled it into the lock, a wave of nervousness suddenly washing over her. The sound of the trees rustling from her neighbor's yard along with being boxed in and surrounded by the waste bins didn't exactly help either.