Chapter III: The Babbling Prisoners Of Azkaban (Rayla)

R     A     Y     L     A

Rayla watched the dementors with great hatred. She rubbed her arms: a chill running down her spine. She was sitting in the shadows of her dirty cell, watching the patrolling dementors.

Azkaban was cold and retched, but Rayla had managed for the most part.

"What's wrong? You living in a nightmare?" a guy with crooked teeth, scraggly hair, beady black eyes, laughed; low and humorless in a cell across from Rayla.

The man fell quite as a dementor passed and Rayla sneered, "You don't look like your so fearless either, Fenrir, so put a sock in it."

"Why you-"

Rayla rolled her eyes. "What? You gonna eat me like all those other little girls? Well, I'm afraid I'm no little girl and that I'm all bones," Rayla snarled, leaning forward into the dim white light.

Her wavy black hair covered half of her bony pale face; her black eyes narrowed. Her teeth were not white and shiny, but tinted and slightly crooked from the years in Azkaban.

"STOP YAPPING LIKE ALWAYS!" someone shouted from the cell on the left of Fenrir's cell.

Fenrir turned to the cell beside him and snarled, "You're not in this conversation Dolohov!"

"SHUT UP!" a voice shrieked from beside Rayla's cell on her right. It was none other than Bellatrix Lestrange; who had been moved into Rosetta's cell after Rosetta was released.

Fenrir and Dolohov fell quiet. As the dementors swept by, everyone shivered.

Those in Azkaban weren't as crazy as everyone said. Sure, they were a bit rusty and had all done horrible, horrible things, but they had been locked up together for countless years (for they were the ones on high-security so they were all kept in one place). And when you spend years with the same annoying, murderous lot it's hard not to fight. Even 'What time do you think it is' always broke into a fight.

When the dementors were gone, sweeping deeper into Azkaban, Fenrir turned to Rayla once more. "Sad now that dear Rosetta's gone? She never was very pleasant."

At this; Bellatrix swept forward into the dim light and gripped her cell bars. You could see her mad eyes and hollow cheeks. "Shut up, flea bag! She was more than you'll ever be!"

"You barely knew her," Rookwood scoffed from the other cell beside Rayla: the one on her left.

Bellatrix hissed, "I'm her damn mother! Don't tell me what I don't know!"

Rayla glared as someone from the other cell beside Fenrir: on his right, growled, "She got out while the rest of us rot."

"Rodolphus," Bellatrix said quietly then shrieked, "SHE HASN'T COMMITTED MURDER!"

"And?" a voice farther down in the cell beside Rookwood hissed. "Rayla hasn't committed murder yet she's still here."

"BECAUSE I'M NOT SEVENTEEN, AVERY!!" Rayla yelled in her defense.

"So?" Avery sneered.

"You think I want to be here?" Rayla hissed, "I don't think any of us want to be here-"

"You haven't committed anything so why are you talking!?" Mulciber sneered from the cell besides Dolohov.

"Shut up, rat," Bellatrix snarled. "Haven't you noticed she's here with us because she's on high-security? You wanna know why...?"

Silence.

"Because she's my relative!" she shrieked, shaking at the bars. "Which means she had the potential to be dangerous, like my daughter, so SHUT UP about it!"

Bellatrix backed into the cell and everyone said nothing as the dementors passed. Then, the ruckus begin again

"Potential? She's Black's daughter!" Avery shouted.

"And!?" Rayla hissed. "Got a problem!? If you got something to say, say it to my face!" Avery did not show up at the bars on the other side of Rookwood's cell. "That's what I thought," Rayla said and fell back to where she was sitting.

Fenrir glared at Rayla and Rayla returned the glare.

"Yeah? Well, she's not like us," Dolohov said.

"You mean not a death eater?" Rayla said flatly.

"She was a baby when the Dark Lord faced Potter, you idiot!" Bellatrix shouted.

"Even if I wanted to be one of you guys I couldn't. When my father was taken they took me too. And like Bellatrix said, 'I was a baby.' So, even if I wanted to, I couldn't've."

"So young.... So innocent," Fenrir sneered.

"Wanna see how innocent I am when I'm out of this cell putting your tail between your legs flea bag?" Rayla hissed. She had jumped forward and now was gripping the bars of her cell.

Fenrir snarled and lunged at the bars of his own cell. He bared his teeth and Rayla stuck out her tongue.

Bellatrix laughed her normal high pitched, cruel laugh.

Rayla glared and Fenrir once more then as the dementors came, both her and Fenrir scrambled away.

"Where will Rosetta go? She was actually decent," Avery said dumbly.

"Of course she was! She's my daughter idiot," Bellatrix hissed. "And she'll be with Cissy if that wasn't already obvious." Bellatrix rolled her eyes dramatically.

"Rosetta was fine," Fenrir grunted. "But Rayla and her still aren't one of us."

"Of course Rosetta was!" Bellatrix screeched. "She was from the moment she was born." Then Bellatrix laughed coldly. "And one of us? Ha! You're not "One of us" either you idiot. You're just on high-security because you're a werewolf with a thirst for blood."

Fenrir's eyes narrowed.

"So..., you can tell the future?" Rookwood scoffed. "Yeah..., dear Bellatrix can tell the future."

If they weren't all locked up they probably wouldn't be insulting each other. Especially not Bellatriz who would kill you in an instant if you talked to her like this.

"Quiet, rat," Bellatrix snarled. "It's called being a mother. I knew from the moment Rosetta opened her eyes she would be a cruel minded little girl. Perfection, if you ask me."

Everyone was silent as the dementors passed again.

"Perfection would be breaking us out of these cells," Fenrir growled.

"That would be foolish with all these dementors," Bellatrix said plainly. "Then again, you're the foolish one not Rosetta."

Rookwood, Mulciber, Rodolphus, Avery, Dolohov, and Rayla grunted in agreement with a 'mhm.'

There was a long moment of silence then Bellatrix screamed, "Stop eavesdropping you mongrels!"

Rayla rolled her eyes as shouts from way farther down started up. The prisoners farther down had clearly been listening. Their silence had given that away. Rayla backed against the wall as the dementors passed. She tried to get as much sleep as she could, hoping one day her name would be cleared.

She was not cruel and she was innocent. But, she had to keep up the act or else she wouldn't survive Azkaban....