Chapter 7

Sirius and Gemma led the rest of the Slytherins back to the Great Hall.

"The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle. I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the Prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the Hall and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately," Professor Dumbledore ordered, the moment all the students were gathered in the Hall. "Send word with one of the ghosts. Oh yes, you'll be needing..."

He waved his wand and the five long tables (one for each of the houses and one for the staff) stood themselves against the walls. He waved his wand again and hundreds of purple sleeping bags appeared on the floor.

"Sleep well," Dumbledore added, then left the Great Hall.

Percy Weasley, Ginny's older brother and Head Boy, ordered us into our sleeping bags.

Blaise, Alex, Anja and I grabbed sleeping bags and went over to a corner of the Hall. I looked out the window and in the grounds, the 'Grim', followed by Crookshanks, appeared to be fleeing from the castle.

That seemed suspicious. Why would a dog be running away from the castle?

All around us, everyone was discussing how Sirius Black had managed to get into the castle.

I felt sorry for Sirius Malfoy. He jerked around every time someone said the word 'Sirius'.

Anja and Alex lay a few feet away from us, whispering.

I turned to Blaise. "I've got something to tell you..."

I told him all about Holly seeing the Grim in my cup, me seeing the Grim out in the grounds twice, and Sirius Black not being a Death Eater, at least according to Father.

Blaise just stared at me. "Whoa..."

I nodded. "Accurate comment."

He grinned. "When there's trouble, why do you always have to be around? In our first year, you managed to get the Philosopher's Stone. In our second you were right in the thick of it, being the Heir of Slytherin."

I raised my eyebrows. "Trust me, it's not a good thing. And it's not like it gets me any attention, all the attention goes to Harry."

Blaise put a finger to his lips and motioned for me to turn around.

I did.

Anja and Alex were curled up together.

"Apparently Black possibly still being in the castle doesn't worry them," he observed.

Oh well.

At least they were happy.

***

For the next few days, Sirius Black was the only topic of conversation.

Our next Anti-Dementor lesson went very well, with Alex managing to produce a Patronus. His was a wolf.

Anja and Blaise both succeeded in conjuring indistinct Patronuses. I had no trouble in summoning my Barn Owl Patronus.

Lupin was extremely pleased, saying that even an indistinct Patronus was very difficult to produce.

***

Our first Quidditch match – against Gryffindor – was fast approaching.

But when Anja and I turned up at practice, Draco's arm was still in a sling and Flint was looking extremely happy.

"What?" Anja and I asked together in confusion.

"We're not playing in the upcoming match," Draco informed us.