Part 4

But pops went to school with kids who dreamed of a city life. So did he. He wanted a beautiful wife who was modern and 'rad', certainly not a farm girl. Pops was frustrated with grandpa's wishes. That's when one of his friends set him up on a double blind date. Enter mum.

Mum came from a family of 10 kids. It was always a ruckus everytime we visited. I still don't know the names of half my cousins.

She was wild during her time for sure, ready to rebel. She too, was tired of the noise at home and had wanted to get out as soon as possible. That's when the double date took place.

When mum saw pops that night, she was disappointed. He was thin, lanky and even a bit shorter than her. His hooked nose and ginger hair reminded her of a gremlin. But his eyes were a beautiful grey. She said that was the only thing that she had found attractive in him.

Its difficult to picture pops that way considering his bulging tummy that can't hold his pants, though he eats quite less.

Pops wasn't thrilled either apparently. Her blue polka dot dress with frills, freckled face without make up and extremely thin body like that of a twelve year old boy didn't appeal to him much. Her curly brown short hair reminded him of a poodle. And she was taller than him which created sort of a complex within him. I think he has been growing shorter over the years. But he also thought that she had a kind smile.

I have seen a picture from that night. I can agree with both of their opinion.

At the double date, pops and mum saw their two friends were hitting off. They sulked when their friends walked holding hands. They sulked when their friends whispered into each other's ears and giggled afterwards. They sulked when their friends stared into each other's eyes. Mum and pops had to witness them even feeding each other. With sunken hearts they had to accept that the double date was a disaster.

When the night came to an end, their two friends kissed. Pops didn't want to feel like a failure, neither did mum. Call it, the silliness of two teenagers who didnt want to lose in front of their friends, but pops and mum kissed as well. That one kiss led to them being married for forty years.

It wasn't love at first sight. Honestly, it wasn't love at all. It was the lack of companionship, and a lot of stupidity, that led to them being together to the point of getting married.

As far as I could remember, mum and pops always fought for the silliest of things.
When I was four, they fought over my favorite ice cream flavor. Mum said chocolate and pops said Vanilla. I liked Pista.
When I was ten, they fought whether I like barbie or ken. I liked them both.

When I was twelve they argued about my extracurriculars. Mum argued it was painting, like her. Pops argued it was basketball. In reality, I just wanted to play games in my big brother's computer.

When I was fifteen they argued if I liked mum's side better or pop's. Honestly, I hated both.

They couldn't agree on anything. Of course now there is one thing they agree on. My future, or the lack of it. Sigh.

Mum and pops didn't really get emotional or financial support from their families. They didn't even get a divorce because they were afraid of being alone. Plus, what would people say?
And they wonder why I can't find a man and get married.