Chapter 3

Narcisa and Lucius rode in a carriage with some other 5th year Slytherin students. It felt weird being in a carriage with them all after avoiding them for so long. She knew they were nothing but trouble, but they were Lucius's friends so now they were her's. Crabbe and Goyle sat to the right of Lucius and Perseus Parkinson was squeezed in beside them. Then on the other side the Carrow twins Alecto and Amycus were at the end and then one of Narcisa's best friends Arielle Selwyn sat beside her.

Lucius chatted with his friends while Arielle made polite conversation with Alecto, knowing that Narcisa wasn't in the mood to chat. Instead Narcisa sat quietly, silently thinking about her year at Hogwarts as she often did during the carriage ride to the castle at the beginning of the year. She dreamed about what her year would be like, fantasized about running through the corridors with her friends dodging the ghosts as the ran. Her favorite thing to do was to trick Peeves, especially considering he loved to prank them during their early years at the school. They often imitated the ghost of The Bloody Barron the only person who could keep Peeves in check. Narcisa smiled as she thought about all her happy memories in the castle.

She looked down and seen the carriage was being  pulled along by an ugly looking beast that Narcisa didn't know the name off. She wondered why nobody else ever seemed to notice them. Every year people would almost walk through them, ignoring their existence. She thought about how she would love if people would do that to her, ignore her existence. She would rather that then people part when they see her or be afraid of her. She wasn't her sister, they didn't even look that alike.

Since she never talked on the carriage ride she had never asked before but now her intrigue was too much. "What about those beasts pulling the carriages?" Narcisa said but nobody was listening, they were all stuck into their own conversations. The only person that heard her was Lucius who turned around as soon as he heard her speak. He looked between her and the beasts, confused. "What beasts?" He questioned, standing up to look over the edge of the carriage. "Them ones, pulling the carriage, they look like skeletons of horses. Can't you see them?" She asked, looking at Lucius in confusion.

Was she going insane? Could nobody else see these beasts? "Narcisa, are you alright?" Lucius asked, his voice taking on a concerned tone that gave Narcisa goosebumps. "Yeah I'm fine" she said, sitting back in her seat and wanting to drop the subject. "What's going on" asked Arielle who had been in deep conversation with Perseus before overhearing Narcisa and Lucius's conversation. "Nothing" Narcisa muttered quickly wanting to avoid drawing attention to herself and go back to day dreaming. "Can you see anything pulling the carriage Arielle?" asked Lucius, still trying to look over the side as if the beasts would be the size of his thumb. "No, they are pulling themselves as always" said Arielle, not even bothering to look.

Perseus laughed "You've all really thought all this time that the carriages were pulled by nothing" he continued laughing. "What are they pulled by then" asked Lucius, clearly being annoyed that Perseus knew something he didn't. He turned to Narcisa "They are called Thestrals love, you can only see them if you have witnessed death" he said in a know it all sort of voice. Lucius gritted his teeth. Anyone could clearly tell that they weren't the best of friends but Perseus was a good person to have around as he was book smart and helped them get out of trouble a lot.

Everyone was involved in the conversation now as they all turned to Narcisa. All their eyes asking the same question "Who's death did she witness" she could hear their eyes whisper but she looked away, towards the ugly beasts she had now learned where called Thestrals, leaving their silent questions unanswered.
"I wish people just couldn't see me full stop" she thought to herself, not making eye contact with anyone for the rest of the carriage ride.

When they finally reached Hogwarts after what felt like an age, Narcisa was the first one off the carriage. She hurried ahead and she heard leaves crunching behind her. Suddenly Arielle was by her side. "Hey, are you alright" she asked, putting her hand on Narcisa's back. Narcisa didn't want to talk about it, she never wanted to think about it again. Arielle clearly picked up on this and changed the subject. "Are you excited for the feast" she asked, clearly just trying to fill silent air.