10- Who Is She?

Rowana stood before them, perfectly framed in the large arched doorway, the darkness of the rectangular chamber and its set of stairs rising behind her. She carried one of those double-bladed weapons strapped to her left hand, glowing faintly like the others in the room. She also sported a new belt but hers was pink instead of bronze. Her expression was muddled, filled with too many mixed emotions, hard and demanding but also soft and pleading. Her eyes flickered between the trio as if to make sure they were all the same people.

Cleo's eyes were drawn to her arms. A thin line of translucent glow followed her arms from the back of her wrist all the way up until it disappeared under her sleeves. It was faint, and it disappeared as Cleo watched it.

For a long time they all stared at each other. Cleo was at a loss for words. She was torn between getting angry and being relieved. She wanted to demand that Rowana tell them everything- why should they trust her otherwise? But another part of her admitted that she had been worried. That part of her wanted to run and hug Rowana, that it was enough to know she was okay. Instead she waited for Rowana to speak first.

Eventually Rowana gave in, speaking slowly and deliberately. "What you're about to do-"

"Where have you been?" Charlie cut her off so abruptly that they startled the other three. Their worried expression didn't match their sharp question.

Rowana blinked, looking like she hadn't considered the possibility that they would have worried. "I- well... I'm sorry but I can't really explain that."

"Where did you get that?" Andy asked, staring at the weapon wrapped around her wrist. Cleo was surprised by the choice of question; the weapon was nowhere near the top of her list.

Rowana glanced down, then back at them. "It's not important. Look, you have to listen to me, you can't do this-"

"Why?" It was Cleo's turn to interrupt. "You could have said something at any time today. Why now?"

"I didn't... I couldn't without telling you everything. And I couldn't do that. I'm not even supposed to be talking to you." She shook her head in amazement. "Honestly I didn't think you'd go through with it. And when you did... I didn't think you'd find it. Guess I underestimated your skill."

"My... skill? What are you talking about?"

Rowana's gaze fell over the guards, still standing petrified, hypnotized. She looked directly at Cleo with more desperation than ever. "I don't have time to explain. I... I can't explain. All I can say is that this is all a whole lot more complex than you know"

"What do you expect me to do if you can't talk to me?" Cleo pleaded quietly. "You finally have something to say and it's that I shouldn't do the one thing that would tell me what's happening to me?" She barely succeeded in not tripping over her words, her voice shaky and thick.

"I know you're scared. And confused," Rowana picked through her words like they were thorns, "but I can't tell you what's going on. I'd get into more trouble than if I didn't stop you... It's your choice. I'm giving you the choice to come with me, or continue... " she left the sentence open ended, the nature of their efforts not really clear to anyone.

Cleo glanced sideways, first at Charlie. They looked absolutely lost, shrugging slightly and silently saying I have no idea what's going on anymore. Cleo couldn't blame them, every choice they've made so far has been based on absolutely nothing. She turned and gauged Andy's opinion. Andy tore her eyes away from Rowana and stared directly at Cleo. Her firm expression, lips pressed together and her eyes brimming with resolve, surprised Cleo. Andy shook her head ever so slightly. Something about her unwavering decision made Cleo concerned...

She thought of Cassian. How startled she had been at first, but how the presence of him in her dream told her she could trust him. It wasn't like talking to someone in real life, it was more personal. She wondered if it was even possible to lie in a dream.

"If you won't tell us what's going on... we have to find someone who will."

"I thought you might say that." Rowana glanced over her shoulder into the darkness. "I'll do what I can so you can get out safe, but..." She shook her head, then stood straight and said, "I'm sorry. Really, I am." She took a couple hesitant steps backwards before turning and running out into the darkness.

"Who is she?" Charlie said in a baffled whisper.

Cleo opened her palm and stared at the six identical keys. She closed her fingers around them. They were going to find answers. Now.