18

Lunch?

It's only been a day since Kobayashi died, and yet everything felt oddly different to you. If you were in a book, this would've been the climax, right?

It was like one of those silly thriller/murder mystery type books you had read when you were in middle school, before romance books appealed to you. You wished you could be like a game protagonist and cut through people's words with evidence and logic, but you just weren't the detective type.

You wanted everyone to disappear, along with yourself. All these people didn't care about Kobayashi--of course they didn't, they hardly knew the girl--and yet they were all so dismissive. As if it just... didn't impact them. Maybe if someone prevalent in their lives passed, they'd understand how you felt then.

You wouldn't cause that, though. Murder was illegal, and more importantly, immoral. You'd never have a good enough reason to take someone's life, that just makes you a bad person--and you were a good person, or at least you'd like to think that.

 You trudged along the outer path of the courtyard, carrying your bento box in your left hand and fidgeting with your hair using your right. This whole thing was kind of putting you on edge.

Your mind was rambling behind an expression of calmness, as you tried to reason with yourself. Who could have done such a thing?

'Maybe the stalker...?' You silently worried, your (E/C) eyes moving back and forth.

It wasn't the worst hypothesis, the only issue was... well, you weren't really that sure of who was stalking you. It probably was someone trying to kidnap you for a high ransom, no? But then, why would they run the risk of killing two teenagers with highly influential families?

You could understand Hikaru--maybe losing one child in the family would make them more anxious to lose another, and they'd pay more for ransom, but... Kobayashi? Your family wasn't too acquainted with Kobayashi besides the standard formalities between Kobayashi and her family, so there was nothing to be gained with killing you.

Or did she have some type of knowledge she shouldn't have had, that she had to take to the grave?

It seemed like a very risky thing to kill someone in such a short timeframe, especially in such a brutal way like a stabbing. If anything, a kidnapper could've just taken Kobayashi for ransom too, no? 

So, maybe whoever was doing this had motivations outside of monetary gain. But why would someone have a grudge, "coincidentally", against two people who were closely affiliated with you? It seemed fishy, in your eyes.

There were many people in your school--the amount was in the thousands--and probably at least 80% of them knew your name. So it'd be a hard task narrowing it down to just a single person. There were probably many more people who hated your family or acquaintances for political reasons as well.

You weren't even sure if the two killings were caused by the same person. You had just assumed, but really, were they?

What caused your inner turmoil was really just because of the lack of information you had been given. With Hikaru's death, all you had known was the time, place, and method for the murder. Of course, with Kobayashi, you had much more information, and even had a timeframe of when the murder happened.

One thought lingered in the back of your mind--'We won't stop here'.

It's what that stupid note had said, when your locker had been filled to the brim with pointy pins.

No murderer was really that brazen to leave a note, right? Especially a note that featured their own handwriting...

"Senpai!" You heard a voice you were not keen on hearing.

It was Iwasaki, running towards you, his big grey eyes centered completely on you. You felt a strange sense of deja vu--you really just hoped he wouldn't act all... masochistic and perverted, like when you had first met him.

The boy tripped on his feet, stumbling as he ran up to you.

"Senpai," Iwasaki said again, this time sounding less surprised.

You turned around to look at him, not knowing the full extent to how blank your expression was. It was like a 3D model, but without any animations. Your face refused to contort to show any signs of displeasure or even recognition towards the boy, and that wasn't even an intentional effort on your part.

//

Snap. Snap. Snap.

That was the sound Inoue's bones were making, as he snapped them one after the other. At that point the girl's screams had already ceased as her throat was as dry as the Sahara desert. The look of despair on her face was quite entertaining to the boy snapping her joints one after the other.

Was this his life now?

Probably not.

Everything would end soon, and he would come out on top.

"Ah, I think she's dead," he chuckled, tossing the girl aside. Her body was a deformed mess, limbs turned and branching out at the wrong places, like a bag of bones that had no muscle to hold it in place.

It was quite an ugly sight.

Thanks for reading! The story is gonna have a few more deaths within the next several chapters, so look forward to that! I'm on here to write for fun, but obviously to improve as well, so any constructive criticism is appreciated ^^

PS: sorry for not updating yesterday! I made this chapter and published it but it didn't actually publish lol