NINETEEN.

SONG: HEATHENS - TWENTY ONE PILOTS 

MAE POV:

I take a deep breath, trying not to lose my shit.

"Let me get the story straight here, just so we are all on the same page" I sit up in my seat, "not only have I been kidnapped, but I've been kidnapped by the mafia in Ann Arbor, Michigan. But it's a nice mafia who takes you out on coffee dates and shopping trips"

"This is a date?" He asks

"Out of everything I just said that was the one question you had?"

He just shrugs and nods his head up and down as he takes the final sip from his coffee cup. I finished mine a little bit ago. .I sigh and take a deep breath, Trying to process everything that is going on.

"Show me" I demand

"Show you what?" He scoffs

"Your work. Show me. Take me somewhere." I adjust myself so I'm sitting back in a normal front facing position and buckle my seatbelt.

Part of me is praying he refuses.

"Why?" Harry takes all the trash we've collected and puts it in the brown paper bag.

"Because I want to be the one to decide whether or not I need to be scared of you." I cross my arms in front of my chest. Half in an attempt to show some attitude and half to keep warm

"Fine. But I can't promise you will like what your going to see".

How bad can it be?

Harry puts the car into drive and heads out onto Main Street. The roads are fairly empty as we make our way out of downtown through the narrow streets and into the suburbs.

"So Where are we going?" I ask

"We are going to collect some cash from some people who owe money on a coke supply" his eyes are focus on the road of ahead of him as he speaks

"Coke as in cocaine?" That was a stupid question.

"What do you think?"

"So how much does this guy owe you?"

"Well he doesn't exactly owe me. He owes my boss but I get a 30% cut"

"So how much does he owe your boss then?" I don't understand why he couldn't have just answered that the first time

"35"

I'm confused

"35... hundred?" That doesn't sound horrible

"Thousand"

What the fuck?

I nearly choke on my own breath. So that's what he meant by debt collection. No wonder he's able to afford such a huge, beautiful property.

"So 30% of that is-"

"$10,500"

Jesus Christ.

The most money I've ever earned was $10.50 an hour, not including overtime and even then that's about $10,500 per year after taxes and rent. I can't imagine making that in one day.

We pull out of the backroads and into an unfamiliar neighborhood.

"Recognize where you are?" Harry asks. I look around and see boarded up shops and broken down cars in abandoned gas stations.

"No" I respond, keeping my gaze out of my window

"Good" he turns down a road into a residential neighborhood. The road is quiet.