⠀ ⠀ xi.

₊

₊.ෆ*˚* 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 ⁎ෆ*˚‧₊

JULY 14, 1962
8:35 am.

it was a quiet sunday, most stores being closed, parents resting before a working monday, and frankie on her porch drawing as usual. a few days passed since frankie had seen scotty with his parents. his step dad still wasn't back, scotty said he was on a business trip and he was the man of the house. it made him feel pretty proud and i'm sure in that moment he wouldn't feel stupid compared to his step dad ever again.

her right hand rubbed against the page while her left hand held it firmly. she was practicing as if her art skills would slip away, she held onto her art like it was the best thing about her when really it's what she valued most about herself. her attention was pulled as benny stood in front of her once again like the days before.

"hey, benny." she smiled.

"hey, frankie, can we talk?"

she frowned. "surely, what's wrong?"

"nothing." he laughed. "i just feel like i've been distant since the fair."

"and why is that?"

"well, man, i don't know. i figured you're good with these things."

she dropped her pencil, placing it and the book on her side. she patted the spot next to her motioning for him to sit. he sat next to her on the small steps and she watched as he did so.

"okay, well why have you been distancing yourself?"

"because i'm scared."

"scared of what?"

"losing my talent, the only thing i like about myself."

the girl frowned once more before looking at him. "benny, you're more than baseball, you know that? you're a person and a really good one." in that moment she seemed hypocritical to herself. she didn't think she was more than a good drawing, but her and benny alike showed each other they were more than a pencil and a baseball, they were much more.

"benny, the way you play with those boys like they are your whole world, when you gave me that stuffed bear and it was fairly yours, and when you gave me and smalls a second chance, no one else i ever knew would have given me, a girl, another chance at baseball. i adore you benny, and not just as a baseball player but as a good person." she turned back to her feet. she didn't want to make eye contact. her heart felt heavy and full.

"francesca?"

"you never call me th-"

"do you like me?"

her heart felt two times more heavy than it did before.

"erm, i guess," she started "yes, i do."

he smiled. he knew it took her a lot of guts to say it, and knowing frankie he'd have to pry it out of her she would never come clean.

"well then what are we?" benny asked, never taking his eyes off of her.

"what?" her eyebrows furrowed.

"what are we?"

"you like me?"

"i guess, yes, i do." he said mocking her. he shook his head, looking down at his shoes just as she did before.

she smiled, bumping into him lightly as she laughed. her gaze met back up with his features.

"well, if we want to think logically, we're both young." the blonde girl started. "and awkward." she laughed again and so did he. in that moment it may have been awkward but it was a relief for the two.

"i suggest we wait. wait till we're older, smarter, and who we really want to be." she stated once more. frankie knew no matter how she changed, she'd share a part of herself with benny.

"okay, i can live with that, goldilocks."

they both laughed. it was silent and awkward, how could it not be? but the two got it off their chest and it was a good feeling. just as good as playing baseball with the rest of the group.

his hand slipped into hers as they interlocked fingers. he squeezed it softly showing that it was okay. they were at peace and she felt free just as she did at the fair ride.

loving you's the antidote
golden you're so golden
i don't wanna be alone
you're so golden.