Chapter 1: Recognition & Pains From The Past

As (Y/N) took a deep breath, grasping the hilt of her sword, she turned her gaze to the mountain in front of her. Her nervousness caused her to stir, but she had to get over it.

Come on, (Y/N)... You can do this! The (H/C) haired girl thought to herself, preparing to enter the Final Selection.

It was the tipping edge of becoming a Demon Slayer. She had to survive in that mountain for a whole week, while racing to the top. Demons also roamed that mountain, but they weren't all that strong.

Should be easy enough.

While everyone dashed in different directions, (Y/N) stayed far away from everyone else. She zigzagged passed trees, but a suspicious eye forced her to a halt.

A rustling came from the bushes. She turned her head as a demon lunged at her, baring it's fangs. Tightening her grip, the demon's head was severed in an instant. (Y/N) sheathed her sword, as the demon crumbled into violet ash.

With a sigh, she ran off, continuing her journey. It wasn't long before she sensed another demon. But this one was far more different than the last one. She only caught a mere glimpse of it, and could tell by it's presence just how powerful it was.

She slid across the dirt, pressing her back against a tree. It caught sight of her for a split second.

Maybe it didn't see me...

The demon chuckled lightly. Alone, she was outmatched, but refused to die so early. She gripped her sword, clenching her teeth.

I can't afford to be so weak. I'll kill that thing!

She heard a crack from the tree trunk, and leaped just before the demon fully pulled the tree from the ground.

Crash!

The tree crushed others on the side, as (Y/N) landed on the ground. Pulling out her sword, the demon launched some arms towards her.

How disgusting...

With each swing, she severed the arms, wasting no time. The demon glanced to the left, launching some arms in the direction of his gaze.

It distracted (Y/N) for a split second, but she snapped her focus back to the fight. Slicing off the demon's arm, someone had severed it's head.

It was a burgundy haired boy, with a light blue haori, and a white fox mask. She sheathed her sword, trying not to make eye contact with him.

"Hey." He called out.

Oh great, social interaction... (Y/N) internally cursed.

"Hm?" She questioned in a hum, turning her gaze to meet the boy.

"Thanks for the help! That demon seemed pretty tough!" He remarked.

"Oh, I was just around..." She pointed out.

"I-I see." He stuttered nervously. "I'm Tanjiro Kamado! And you are..?"

"(Y/N) (L/N)..." The (H/C) haired girl hesitantly mumbled.

"We should stick together. There's strength in numbers, after all!" He smiled.

She pondered it for a moment, unsure of a proper answer.

"Well, you are right about that. And who knows if there are other demons like that one..." (Y/N) stated.

Dammit... She internally cursed herself.

"I guess so..." She sighed.

He seemed pleased with her answer, and they stuck together for the rest of the week. Fighting demons, and climbing the mountain.

(Y/N) learned a lot about Tanjiro that night, and he reminded her of her older sister. The determination set off the recognition. And there was no mistaking it.

~ ~ ~

"Imouto-san!" (Y/N's) elder sister, Yuki, greeted. "Let's go to my room!"

She eagerly grabbed her younger sister's hand, dragging her to her room.

"Onee-chan, you're gonna rip off my arm!" (Y/N) whined, as she was dragged to Yuki's bedroom.

They both sat on the floor, in front of a wooden dollhouse.

"It's nice that dad brought you over for a visit! I was sure I wouldn't see you again after they split up!" She had said.

"Yeah! I missed you, Onee-chan!" (Y/N) smiled, hugging her elder sister.

"Awwww! I missed you too!" She hugged back.

She pulled away and excitedly asked, "Wanna play dollies?"

(Y/N) nodded eagerly, she loved to play dollies. Her sister opened up the dollhouse, and handed the (H/C) haired girl a small plush doll. It was dressed in a pink dress with an array of cherry blossoms on it. And had black yarn for hair, with a sewn smile, and buttons for eyes.

Crash! Bang!

A scream filled the silence, but was quickly cut off.

"What was tha-"

"Ssssh!" Yuki silenced her younger sister.

Footsteps drew closer to the door, and a voice broke the silence.

"(L/N)-kun... It's time to go home." Their father spoke.

Trembling, (Y/N) tightly clung to her sister.

"Father is a monster..." She whispered.

Yuki tightly hugged her younger sister.

"I'll protect you, Imouto-san..." She whispered.

~ ~ ~

(Y/N) snapped herself out of the memory, refusing to relive what happened next. Tanjiro turned his gaze to her.

"Something wrong?" He questioned.

"It's nothing, just a headache." She answered quickly, avoiding the topic.