Chapter 1

With Commentary

Swirling wildly in the air, a thick cloud of dust cast strange whirling shadows in the late morning. A horse neighed and tossed his head when a man tried to come too close.

Freya sighed and set down the heavy staff she had been beating an old rug with. The dust slowed and settled to the ground as she took a short break. A fine layer coated her long blonde hair and skin, turning everything a soft grey. Sweat trickled down her back under the heat of the late morning sun making her worn dress uncomfortably wet.

She turned her face to the sun, soaking up its warm rays she had not felt for several months. Winter was finally over and spring was well underway. The sweet smell of early flowers in the meadows and rich earthy scent of thawed earth turned over by plow. The heavier odor of decaying leaves from autumn hung under the freshness.

The distant chatter of squirrels could be heard from a forest not far off along the borders of Glarun, the Dead Forest, ominous in name but less so in nature. Living in the nearby village, surrounded on three sides; hills to the south, forest to the north and west. The people had always hunted in the forest. They never ventured more than halfway in though for the Wastelands lay on the other side. The few who braved the Wastelands, a dead, swampy marsh filled with strange and mutated creatures, never returned. There had been only brave spirit in Freya's life. He had been only a little older than she was now, brave but foolish.

The Dead Forest is not entirely inaccurate anymore. It was called the Dead Forest for many years long in the past on account of the Wastelands flooding it and killing thousands of trees, many of which are still standing. And yes, the Darkling Wood as it is called during Freya's time is very ominous. Dead things walk there... "once, a long time ago, this very forest wascalled The Dead Forest. History books described it as an extension of theWastelands where grey, barkless trees rose dead out of the murky, foul waters.Dying creatures, people, went there in their last moments. When the Wastelandsretreated, life began to move in, but the locals said the Darkling Wood washome to monsters of shadows and the spirits of the dead lingered among the trees." It's a fascinating place and deeply connected to the atmosphere of the first part of Dragon Nymph. The Wasteland is a strip of muddy swamp. The Wasteland is not true to the nature of the land itself. It is rich in life and home to many swampy creatures. People just can't really live there, so humans being human decide it is a wasteland with no life whatsoever.

A shout startled Freya and she spun around to see a large horse galloping toward her with hooves the size of dinner plates. Her father ran behind the animal, his long legs pounding the ground.

"Freya!" he shouted frantically, deep voice ringing. With its harness half on, the horse charged at her with no sign of stopping. Calmly, despite her racing heart, Freya raised her hands in front of her. Snorting wildly the horse skittered to a halt, kicking up clods of damp earth. Before the animal could run again Freya grabbed the reins and hauled his head around.

"Whoa, Jay," she said calmly. Jay snorted and tossed his head, he nearly stomped on her foot. Freya whistled a low note and rubbed his forelock gently. Jay huffed mightily and nuzzled her shoulder. By then her father had reached them. Jay reached over Freya's shoulder and lipped the top of his head. Joss pushed him away and glared at Freya.

I love Jay. He made it to the second draft.

"Don't ever do that again," he said sternly but there was a hint of mirth in his blue eyes.

May as well do this now. Freya and Joss in this draft are blond, Joss with blue eyes, Freya with blue-green eyes. This is no longer the case. Joss is Credeite. Referring to Al Briena Kadire, my lore book which you can find on my profile: "Credeites are generally of a medium brown skin and most have darker freckles on their face and sometimes thier body. Their hair is similarly brown, but with reddish undertones and occasionaly dark blond highlights... bright green eyes... they are tall... lean, with broad shoulders, and are generally fair or sharp featured, fae-like."