Bring A Plus One - Part Three

"So, more questions," I smiled while setting my now empty glass down, "how come you're stuck with me? No one else to bring along?"

"No," he shook his head, "everyone who I could have invited is here anyway and I don't have many friends outside of work, so it's just me."

"Ah, that's a shame, but at least you've made a non-work friends now."

Spencer smiled and nodded in agreement, "And what about you?"

"Well, I was going to show up with my other best friend but sadly he couldn't make up, something came up with his boyfriend so..." I shrugged.

"Hence why you ended up hitching a ride with the co-worker."

"And we've come full circle."

Upon that thought, I lifted my head and started to scan the room, trying to locate said co-worker.

My eyes finally landed on him, talking away with two other people I had never seen before in my life.

"He's kind of cute," Spencer commented.

I glanced to Spencer then back at the co-worker, whose name I still didn't know, and must have pulled a displeased face judging by the way that his expression suddenly softened.

"He's okay," I shrugged.

"Maybe you should go over and talk to him," he continued, "maybe get to know him better."

"What? No," I laughed, giving a wave of my hand, "he's not my type, I'm more concerned about the drive home."

"If you're lucky enough to not be forgotten, by the way his body is angled towards the blonde one and he's brandishing wildly as he's talking and making sure they're both engaged in him and him only, I think he's trying to shoot his shot and she seems pretty receptive to him."

"So what you're saying is that I'm going to get left behind by this random dude so he can smash?"

"In layman's terms, yes."

I sighed and chewed on my lip, my leg beginning to bounce.

"Maybe I'll be lucky and he won't score."

Spencer shifts in his seat, his hands wringing together in his lap.

"Well, I know I said I didn't have the best reputation for driving but maybe, if you get forgotten and don't feel too weird about it, I can drive you home."

"You would do that for me?" I smiled at him, my stomach fluttering just a little bit.

"I wouldn't have offered otherwise."

Damn, this man really was something else.

---

"-GONNA TAKE SOME TIME TO DO THE THINGS WE NEVER HAAAAAVE!!!"

My throat was sore but I wasn't giving up on my off-key yelling, even if a laugh or five kept breaking my stride, though Spencer wasn't fairing any better, luckily we'd made it to the end of the song without having the police called on us.

During the night, our chairs had slowly moved around the table to sit closer to one another.

"I can't hear you over the music," he had said with an affirming nod.

"I know, it's so noisy," I agreed.

That was how we ended up leaning against one another's shoulders, yelling the chorus to Africa and giggling like schoolkids.

"Only the chorus," I reminded him, pointing my finger like a teacher making a point, "as is my family tradition, at least."

"Of course, as the sacred scriptures all declare."