The Promises.

TW: This story contains profanities, violence, and other mature themes. Please read at your own risk.

"Psychiatrist?" Austin asked with his eyebrows knitted.

Grandpa smiled bitterly at his grandson before he answered him, "Ashley had a severe trauma because of the fatal accident your mother was in. It happened right in front of your little sister's eyes during their video call. She saw exactly how your mother..." 

The old man's eyes started to pool. He sucked in a deep breath as he wiped his tears before he continued, "How my sweetest, dearest child, Angeline died...and I know how much Ashley suffered since that traumatic event. I don't have the heart to push her to remember everything that could lead me, I mean us, to you, my dear grandson. Not just yet."

Austin was left speechless as the truth he had just learned from his grandpa is just too much to bear. Analysing how their beloved mother died is enough to leave a pang of sadness in his heart. Then what about Ashley? It's understandable for her to have such trauma as what their grandfather described earlier. Things must be adamant for the poor girl back then. But with the way how his little sister acted around him with her cheerful antics questioned him.

How can she manage to act as what she is now?

The bubbly, spoiled yet cheerful lady she is?

As if she never had a traumatic event before?

This is saddening, he thought.

Austin bit his lips as he was swallowing every thought he had in his mind before he spoke, "I'm so sorry for not being with her during her toughest time...I wish I could. And just because of me, mother died... How cruel fate is towards me..." He sobbed as he chafed his perfect features.

"Hey, look at me, my dear boy," Grandpa rotated his body and is now facing at Austin. He then held the young man's shoulders as he stared deeply into his orbs, "Don't blame yourself about all of these. Everything happened already. There is nothing we can do about it. In fact, both your mother and Ashley will be very sad if they knew you are blaming yourself," He then enveloped his grandson into a warm hug, "Plus, Ashley will scold me to make you cry like this." He chuckled.

Austin's lips curled upwards slowly. He was entertained and calmed at the same time listening to his grandfather's joke. They pulled away from the hug before Austin let out a soft laugh, "I will try, grandpa...but do you mind if I ask you something?"

"What is it, Austin?" Grandpa beamed.

"Ashley. The way she's behaving now, it never shows any sign of her ever went through such a painful past. I'm afraid if she's just forcing herself to be like what she is now and trying to act tough when she is not..." He paused, "I'm afraid if she's just concealing her pain. That must be hurtful."

Hearing all the concern coming from his grandson about Ashley moved Mr Haydn emotionally. Austin barely spent the time with the sweet girl, yet he already has such an attachment with her. He crept a smile as he scanned Austin's face. 

"Need not to worry about that, Austin. I believe Ashley has completely healed from her trauma. That is why we have you with us here today," Grandpa ruffled his hair, "And not to mention, the person she treasures and longed the most is now here with her."

"Here, you guys are!" Ashley suddenly barged in to their conversation from nowhere before she locked both of their heads, "I was searching for you two like forever!" She whined childishly.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━