Claimed by Lycans

DINAH

She's his mate.

My jaw falls open as I watch Lucien drags my sister to the car. She's tripping over her feet a little but not fighting anymore. She's just silent now, covering her cheek with her hand, eyes that are open but really aren't seeing. Unfocused. It's almost like the slap put her in a state of shock.

My pursuer walks past me, squeezing my shoulder as if to say 'I got this'  before he approaches my mother. He walks slowly with his palms up, showing her that he's in control and no threat.

"Natalia, let me explain" he says with a voice smooth as honey. "It seems like your other daughter is my friend's mate. I had no idea, and neither did he."

"You have no papers! You can't just take her away too!" she shouts at him, a hint of desperation in her voice. She hugs my brother tightly against her body, finger pointing accusingly at my pursuer.

My heart breaks again. Feeling how tears I didn't think I had left are threatening to spill over, again.

"I will give the Handler a call as soon as possible," he answers calmly, voice still smooth. No hint of aggression. "We will cover the cost for her too, and triple the amount for the inconvenience we've caused you."

Tears are streaming down my mother's face as she glares at him, looking him straight in the eye. That's something most humans can't do - hold a Lycan's gaze.

But she can, she's in that much pain.

Mom crouches down and whispers something to my little brother. He nods before he runs to the house, slamming the door shut behind him. I want to run in after him, to jump in my bed, pull his little body close to mine and hide beneath the covers together, pretend that this is all a bad dream. But I can't.

"Your friend can't take my daughter until he's requested a Bargain," Mom says as she straightens up, head high and chin up despite the tears that won't stop falling. "I will report this."

"I understand that and you're completely right, Natalia." My pursuer keeps using my mother's first name to show her that he's friendly, that he considers her to be close, that he means no harm.

Does he not know that he's doing the greatest harm there is? That he's he's taking her family.

"Unfortunately my friend isn't in complete control right now. Trying to take your daughter from him will mostly likely end in bloodshed. We don't want that."

Mom stays silent, shifting her gaze to Myka who's being pressed against the car, cornered by the other lycan. He has both of his hands on the vehicle trapping her between his arms, his tall body towering over her, hindering her from going anywhere. He's leaning in close as he sniffs her, up and down.

This can't be real.

"If you let us take them now, I promise you that we'll bring both of them back for her Bargain," he continues, still with his palms up in the air. "At least your girls will have each other. No harm will come to them, you have my word."

My mother is quiet for a moment, just breathing. Then she closes her eyes and gives a short nod. There's nothing she can do. She can't fight Lycans and she knows it. Her daughters are gone.

When she opens her eyes again I see no light in them, her flame has been suffocated, the spark is gone. Wounded.

My heart breaks for the millionth time.

"I'll still report this offence. This is not right."
She turns her attention to me with a sad smile, one that doesn't really reach her eyes, her soul. Her voice much softer as she utters me her parting words. "I love you, Dinah. Look after your sister."

My tears don't stop falling.

~~

The car ride starts off quiet. Suffocatingly quiet. My pursuer is driving. Myka and I are in the backseat. No words, only heartache.

Lucien's sitting in the passenger seat. He seems to have gotten a better hold of himself now, eyes no longer black but back to their normal brown color. His face is relaxed, more humane again, back to that usual composed self. The tie is straightened, the black suit in place. Unfazed. Both of the times I've seen him he's always been dressed as a lawyer: a suit and tie. I wonder why.

A beast hiding beneath a composed shell. Chaos just beneath the surface; there are cracks everywhere.

The only sign of Lucien's earlier loss of control is Myka's bright red cheek, a loud demonstration of his hard slap. I reach over to take her hand in mine, squeezing it. She squeezes back.

"Those crosses won't help you where we're going," my pursuer says as he watches us in the rearview mirror. "Our faith is different."

I lift my hand, letting my fingers brush against the small silver cross around my neck, knowing that Myka is also wearing hers. We always do.

We exchange looks.

"Our Mom gave us these and they're not going anywhere," Myka says. The strength in her voice back, the feisty temperament bubbling right beneath the surface. It takes more than a slap to break her. "Or are you gonna force us to throw them away? Is that what you Lycans do?"

"No. I'm just letting you know that we don't have churches where we're going."

The car grows silent again, atmosphere thick as if the air can sense how we want to scream but can't. Only internal screams, silent screams.

"And hitting your mates? Is that also a normal thing to do where we're going?" Myka's mocking voice breaks the silence this time. She can't stand silence, she rather fight than than being subdued,

Lucien answers. "I lost control."

"That's what you Lycans are notorious for isn't it. Losing control."

"Myka," I say as a small warning, squeezing her hand, giving her a look that says 'not now.'

Lucien scoffs. "And you humans are notorious for being weak."

"Bold coming from you Lycans who can't even live without a human mate. What does that make you?" she fires back. "We don't even want you."

He turns around in his seat in an instant, eyes burning in aggression but not yet all black. This time it's the teeth that makes me want to jump back and take cover. His upper lip is curled, showing us his display of elongated, sharp canines. A low rumble vibrating from his chest.

I widen my eyes at the display but Myka keeps her composure and remains unfazed. "Gross."

He growls louder at her disrespect.

"It seems like my mate needs a lesson in discipline," he snarls at her, eyes growing a shade darker.