Chapter Twenty-Seven - Lies and Pancakes

When Annie's phone began it's chirping alarm at 5:45 she rolled over and pulled another pillow over her head. She lay there for several moments until even under the pillow the chirping had become an annoying loud screwdriver poking into her non-sleeping brain.

Friday. Friday. Payday Friday? Maybe. Uhg, too early to think. Why is it so early? Stupid work. Stupid bills. Stupid food. God, I hate that alarm. I know I picked it for exactly that reason but its a horrible way to start the day. I need coffee. And a hot shower. And some- Holy god with a little g!

Annie sat up in bed while looking around as if she would see either Thor or Loki staring at her. She shoved hair out of her face, while scrambling off the bed, dressed in her sweats and a t shirt she stumbled once while kicking the sheet from around her foot. Her phone was on her dresser so that she had to actually get out of bed to turn it off and now she repeatedly pressed the button to turn it off desperately in the hopes that it hadn't woke the two sleeping next door.

In the silence she listened intently for any noise that would tell her it had. When she didn't hear anything she let out a held breath and lowered her head in relief. You are a terrible host for your not-guests. She staggered into the bathroom to pee and wash up, at least enough to wake up and go make coffee.

By the time she made it out to the kitchen it was only a few seconds from six am and she moved to the coffee pot on auto pilot. Filling the pot and prepping everything didn't take much brain power which was good because Annie didn't feel like she had much brain powered up at the moment. The night had been late and weird with strange noises plus she kept thinking about all the things that she should do for Thor and Loki. But first, cereal. And toast. And coffee.

Annie grabbed the cereal box from the cabinet and had begun opening it as she turned to set it on the counter when she saw a large lumpy thing on her couch. Even as her brain told her that it was probably Thor sitting on the couch her body reacted by jerking back and sending the cereal and the box flying in multiple directions.

With a hand on her chest Annie's thoughts raced. Holy Shiitake Freakin' Hell! I guess women really do put a hand on their boobs when they're scared. Well bless my stars and good golly miss molly. That better be Thor or I'm in a heap o' trouble. Annie sucked in a breath.

"I am sorry, Lady Annie! It was not my intent to frighten you." Thor's voice came to Annie clearly, he spoke in a normal tone of voice as he stood even though she could see that he was holding Loki in his arms.

Annie raised her hand, in greeting or surrender, she wasn't sure. Her heart was still pounding. "No problem, I just wasn't expecting you guys to be up already." She tried to calm her breathing as she put a hand on the counter and leaned against it. Or sitting in my Livingroom. In the dark.

They came over to the counter where Thor spoke softer while glancing down at Loki. "It was a rather difficult night."

Annie cleared her throat then turned on a light over the dinning area, it was softer on the eyes than the harsh kitchen light. She saw that Thor appeared to have been awake for awhile and when Loki turned his head to look at her she saw tired green eyes. "Nightmare?"

"The worst one yet." Thor gestured with his head at the cereal box that was on the floor. "Again, I am sorry for frightening you."

Annie gave him an early morning before coffee smile. "Forget about it, its only cereal and I'm getting the good stuff today, remember?" She put the box on the counter before getting a broom and dust pan out and quickly sweeping it up then dumping it in the trash.

As she did so Thor had walked back into their bedroom, now he came out still holding Loki but also the bowl. He looked happy, like a child presenting a parent with a gift. He set the bowl on the counter without a word and looked expectantly at Annie.