letter the second.

who are you, really? behind the letters? what drove you to send it? will you send another (i rather enjoyed it, truly)? should i reply? i have questions upon questions, dull one

who are you, really? behind the letters? what drove you to send it? will you send another (i rather enjoyed it, truly)? should i reply? i have questions upon questions, dull one. (why are you dulled so? i wish to make you shine, so as to make the sun envious.)

i refuse to call you the dull one. if i am golden, you are ethereal, angelic. you are sappho, the great poet. may i call you the lovely one?

i want to unravel your mystery like a beautiful painting, trapped under a thick cloth. i am intrigued, lovely one. is that alright? apologies, i get ahead of myself.

enchant me further, lovely one, i beg of you.

elodie was shocked, to say the least, to see a slim envelope with simply 'letter the second' arrive in front of her

'letter the second!' she whispered, voice rasping softly. she was floating on cloud nine; angels sang in her mind, a dart of colour in her dull world. her grey aura brightened to almost a silvery, unicorn blood colour. 'he wrote back!'

she scanned it quickly, glancing up at the golden one. he was focussed on his breakfast and his friends. the blonde could sense his aura, the golden glow emitting around him. it was beautiful, like him, and so bright she would look away if it were anyone else. but it was him, and she wanted to sear his image into her mind like a firebrand.

elodie may as well cram every bit of him into the cracks and crevices of her memories; she would scarcely mind if all her brain and heart were filled with him. him and his golden aura. she knew she would never be with him, never be allowed to be with him. the selwyns had a reputation to uphold, and loving the rebel black boy would surely tear it to the ground.

she should have never let her thoughts linger on him. she should have passed over him like he was anyone else, with their dulness. but she was never able to tear her eyes away from pretty things shrouded in mystery.

regulus's voice shook her out of her thoughts. 'again, elodie? is my brother really that interesting?'

yes, she wanted to blurt. he is the only bright thing in this dull, dull world. aloud, however, she only said, 'of course.'

'you'll be seen, el. your parents –'

'i know, reg. i should be more cautious, but i simply cannot tear my eyes away.'