22: Mayoral Race

I walked into my newly remodeled bar and restaurant, refreshed from my post workout shower, and smiled.

Everything was shinny and new and exactly what I wanted. The young woman who'd done my interior design had done a great job at adding those special little touches, my favorite of which was the flag centered above my bar and the picture of Stan and Ford. The rainbow flag had the word 'pride' in cursive sewn into it in black lettering. It was beautiful and made me excited. Not something I would have ever thought possible back when I was her age. But times were changing for the better.

 But times were changing for the better

I turned on the tvs over the bar. Both were tuned into the local channel and simultaneously said, "This just in, the mayor is dead."

"What?" I hit mute on one of them, watching the other.

"Raised by bears in the wilderness, Mayor Eustace Huckabone Befufftlefumpter was best known for raising the water tower, possibly starting World War I, and putting town menace Gideon Gleeful behind bars, in actual adult prison. A memorial statue is already being carved in the deceased mayor's honor." Shandra began to cry and her cohost comforted her. "I'm sorry. It's just been so long since we've had real news. I'm just so happy!"

Shandra's co-host said, "There will be a town hall meeting this afternoon to discuss replacing him."

"A new mayor..." I hit mute on the tv and changed it over to a sports channel playing highlight reels from a woman's rugby game. I smiled as I glanced at the flag. "This could be a great opportunity..."

~~~

"Alright," Blubs called. "Order! Order everyone! Calm down now! We're here to choose a mayor for the first time in almost a century. According to the town charter," he unrolled an old scroll as a bat flew out of it, "a worthy candidate is defined as anyone who can cast a shadow, count to ten, and throw their hat into the provided ring." Deputy Durland brought out a hoop and placed it on the floor.

Bud Gleeful immediately threw his hat in it before I had a chance to stand. "Well now I do believe I fulfill all the requirements." Bud raised his hand, pleadingly. "Now folks, I know our families had its fair shares of whoopsie daisies in the past, but I'd like to make up for it by formally announcing my candidacy for the mayor of Gravity Falls! Any questions?"

Toby Determined stood and asked, "Yes, are you still in contact with Lil' Gideon?"

"That's a great question," Bud said, avoiding the question. "I'm giving you 50% off a used car. "In fact, everyone look under your seats." He pointed at the crowd. "You get half off a used car! You get half off a used car!"

I pulled my old college ball cap from my pocket and stood to walk around the edge of the crowd, unable to throw my hat from the back seat.

"So since everyone's happy," Bud said, "I'll just take the oath of office now, sound good, gavel up?"