♠ eleven ♠

Her conversations with him kept her entertained during the day, and Qur'an kept her company at evenings and nights. Life seemed to flow easier and breathing seemed freer.

"What are you reading now?"

She'd been the type that preferred fiction over non- fiction – any non-fiction she'd read were Islamic – he was the opposite. He read a lot of boring books detailing theory and debating ideas, if not journals and biographies. But somehow, he managed to phrase them in the most interesting manner as though narrating a fantasy novel. Their topics varied, and while he'd never really brought anything non-islamic, it wasn't necessarily Islamic either.

So, when he brought the poetry collection by Rumi, she was incredibly surprised. And delighted, guessing the reason was her expressing interest.

"Scientific Indications in the Qur'an."

"Oh," she raised a brow.

"Did you know the biggest thing we are aware of, and the smallest thing have the same structure? The solar system has the planets orbiting the sun, held together by electromagnetic force. The atoms also have the same structure, the protons and electrons orbiting the neutron, held together a lesser force than the electromagnetic force."

She always learnt something new from whatever he was reading.

"What is your name?"

"I recall you asking the same question once before..."

"And I recall you not answering the question." She shot back.

"What makes you think I'll answer now?"

"Oh, come on... why so secretive? I need to call you something."

"No can do," he paused. "Aiyla."

"How do you know my name?"

"Er..." he faltered. "I... heard you mother call you."

She frowned. "That's not fair. You know my name so I should know yours."

"You didn't tell me yours, so I don't need to tell you mine."

"Ugh, it's not like I can coincidentally hear your mum call you."

He stiffened at that but Aiyla didn't notice.

"I know! I'll give you a name."

"Oh?" He sounded amused. "Alright, let's see then."

"Okay... hmm..." Aiyla pretended to think long and hard, something that would suit him. Someone who doesn't talk much, just sits there reading books. Someone who doesn't move much.

"Got it!"

He perked up in interest.

"...Sloth." She announced with a with a flourish, as though there was nothing better.

He dropped his book. It fell with thud, all the way to the ground.

"What?" Came the strangled voice.

"Perfect, isn't it?" She smiled proudly.

"What part of it?!"

Later, he will say he most definitely did not squeak, that's far too undignified for him. If you ask Aiyla, he sounded like a girl whose pigtails were pulled.

"You know, the part where you just sit there under the sun, not making a movement."

"I'm reading!"

"Oh right," Aiyla tapped her lips as though it just occurred to her. "Then..."

He sighed.

"Froggy!"