♠ thirteen ♠

"How was GCSEs?" She asked.

"You realize they ended like a week ago, right?" He replied in an incredulous voice.

She wondered if he'd realized that he inadvertently gave his age away.

"Umm..."

In an effort to ignore the reality and her dark, looming future, she hadn't actually realized that GCSEs had started. Only when Suhayl made a passing comment mentioning how lucky it was that exams didn't clash with Ramadhan that it came to her attention.

Aptly ignoring that she should have been sitting them too, she shrugged. "You prolly got 100% in everything anyway."

"Unfortunately, the examiners conspire to never let that happen," he replied evenly, "so, I'm most likely to come out with 99.9%."

"Humility becomes you."

"I'm glad you could acknowledge it."

By the time Suhayl's school ended, half the Ramadhan had passed. Aiyla marvelled at the swiftly passing time. Ammi began to disappear even more, until Aiyla couldn't ignore it any longer. She needed to know why Ammi was working even harder and longer than before.

For that, she actually needed to be able to speak to Ammi, which proved impossible. Since Suhayl was now at home, Ammi took advantage of being able to go out without leaving Aiyla alone at home.

Suhayl didn't let her up on the usual Ramadhan Qur'an competition either. It made Aiyla's heart soar, though the experience was quite different listening to the recitation then repeating it to complete her own tilawat. So far, she'd only recited bits and pieces when not listening.

When Suhayl was done his tilawat, they'll both sit by the radio together and compare the recitations of different Qaris, while testing their own Arabic language skills.

"What do you want for Eid, children?" Ammi asked one day as they slowly ate their suhoor.

"I hardly see the point of gifting if you're gonna ask me. The whole point is surprise." Suhayl mumbled.

"I hardly see the point of you repeating that every single year." Aiyla retorted back, sipping at her milk.

"I'm just pointing out the redundancy of it."

"Well, I was planning to get you some smiley face stickers. You're in need of it."

"What am I gonna do with that?"

"Exactly."

"Children! Really... Can we have a conversation without devolving into petty arguments?"

Aiyla shrugged. "I don't mind anything Ammi."

"Maybe a friend." Suhayl mumbled under his breath. "I heard you speaking to an imaginary friend in the garden. Aren't you a bit too old for that?"

Aiyla froze when Suhayl started talking, before relaxing at his conclusion. Since Ramadhan had started, Isha'al comes around after Zuhr when Suhayl's mosque took place. She wondered if he actively tried to avoid other members of her family. If so, why? How?

"Sweetheart..." Ammi's voice brought her back from her musings, guilt-laden.

"It's fine Ammi! Suhayl's just taking the mick. I don't need anyone." She sent a glare at where she thought Suhayl may be sitting, satisfied at the shifting movement in return. "Besides, I have my Qaris."

"She certainly does!" Suhayl jumped, eager to correct his slip-up. "Which one are you marrying?"

"Dunno. Can't decide." Aiyla Quipped back, "imagine falling asleep to their tilawat..." she sighed dreamily.

"Ew! Appi... keep your fantasies to yourself!"

"Meh," Aiyla frowned at her mother's silence. "Ammi?"

"Hmm..?"

"You're not sick or anything are you?"

"Of course not. Why do you ask?"

"You sound exhausted."

"Just work, don't worry darling."

Aiyla placed the mug of milk down. "You don't have to work two jobs anymore you know, Ammi. We don't have as much expenses anymore Alhamdulillah."

"Uhm..hmm."

"I'm serious, Ammi. Please rest a little now. You've done enough."

She felt her mother's arms encircle her. "Not enough, my darling. Not nearly enough."

"Ammi..."

A finger poked at her cheek. "You silly girl, it's a parent's job to worry for the children. Not the other way round."

"I'm allowed to worry for you if you're gonna be silly yourself."

Ammi kissed her cheek at that. "My baby girl is all growing up now, worrying for her mother."

"Ammi, really!"

And the topic of Ammi still working two jobs was left forgotten.

"No! Ammi is gonna hate that one. I swear, can you just listen to me?" Aiyla snapped at the receiver, eyes twitching. Suhayl whined something nonsensical back at her.

"Listen, brat..."

She and Suhayl had decided to get Ammi a gift together. Now he was out shopping with Ammi, where he'd split from her to buy what he needed to and will need to meet back with Ammi after two hours. The item in question was an Abaya. He had already brought a pair of scarves which Aiyla hopes are wearable but had called her up – on the little brick phone Ammi had given him for express purpose of communication – to ask for help in choosing the Abaya.

Considering the boy thought the sky was a blue background with white polka dots, suffice to say, his descriptions of the Abayas left much to be desired. Perhaps she should've tried to ask Ish'aal to go with him. At least then, she would have had a decent idea of what the Abayas were meant to look like.

"I told you already. Go back to the other shop and buy the one with pearl neckline and belt!"

"It's not gaudy."

"Oh, for god's sake. Just get it."

"Yeah, yeah."

Aiyla put down the receiver with a sigh.

Since the last ten days of Ramadhan had entered, Ish'aal had stopped coming. But with Suhayl's mosque closing, he's around all the time. Thankfully, he hadn't brought up her 'imaginary friend' again. Rather, their competition had become more intense focusing on seeing how many Khatame Qur'an they could get done each.

Although, listening to the Qur'an so repetitively was giving her ideas.

Ideas like trying to retain it all inside her head.

After all, what better way is there to show love to your Creator than memorising the words He has sent down to you?